Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kalua-esque Pig - Help?

Options
Wild Turkeys
Wild Turkeys Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey,

I am Looking to smoke some pork with that Kalua Pig flavor this weekend. I have Hawaiin red Salt and Banana leaves, other than that I was hoping to get some advice on cuts and temps/smoking times as I've never done it before.

Thanks,

Turkeys

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    This might help. Also google hawaiian luau recipes.

Turkey, Whole, Hawaiian Luau Kalua, Mike McQ

Thought I'd share a Turkey recipe I did for two occasions last year that got raves. Luau's always serve kalua pig but some also add kalua turkey, which I based this target flavor on. (I plan to do my next butt with this brine.)

Ingredients:
    13-15 lb Turkey
    The Brine Follows:
    2 Fresh lemons quartered, juice squeezed, rind tossed in
    2 Fresh limes quartered, juice squeezed, rind tossed in
    3 gal Water, enough to just cover birdie
    1 Sweet red pepper cut up
    1 cup Soy sauce
    1 Sweet yellow pepper cut
    1 cup Sea salt
    6 Cloves garlic crushed
    2.5 cup Dark brown sugar
    1 Large chunk of ginger root, peeled and crushed
    2 Tbs Ground allspice
    1 Core from fresh pineapple (fruit for salad) or small can
    2 Tbs Black pepper
    12 Peels from dozen or so madarin oranges (fruit for salad)
    1 Tbs Thyme
    12 Ti leaves (optional)
    1 large sweet onion chopped

Preparation Directions:
    1 Give your bird a brine bath in the frig for a minimum 12hrs, 24hrs or longer better:)
    2 Remove Turkey and strain the brine keeping the solid goodies. Now stuff the bird with same.
    3 If you really want all out authentic next completely wrap your bird in Ti leaves. (pronounced tea) I couldn't find them locally at any oriental market, ordered them from a Florist!
    Cooking Directions:
    1 The wood, Mesquite. My research revealed it's the closest to the Kava used traditionally in Hawaii, except it's gotten hard for them to even get so they often use mesquite themselves!
    2 Since I use a Big Green Traeger instead of a Big Green Egg specific technique will vary. I slow smoke (~150°f) for 6 hrs then raised to 225°f for about another 8hrs or so. I only took internal temp to 165° my first two. The breast meat was so moist it just squirted. It was not fall apart like pulled pork. I'm thinking my next one to take it to 200° and see how it is.
    3 The second one I did was for Thanksgiving and I didn't want the pale skin you'll get wrapping with Ti leaves so I omitted them. Taste was almost the same but the Ti leaves do impart a bit of their own unique flavor. Hmmm, just had a thought. Maybe remove them after about half done cooking as a compromise...
    Special Instructions:
    1 Coconut macadamia nut candied yams, fresh mixed fruit salad, Hawaiian sweet rolls etc make it a fun Hawaiian style feast. Poi optional:)

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Author: Mike McQ mikemcq@quixnet.net

Source: BGE Forum, Mike McQ
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i know not much info butt here is what i got

Pork, Butt, Kalua

1 5 Lbs. Pork, Butt, Frozen

Alae (red Hawaiian salt) Ti leaves Banana leaves Aluminum foil Thaw the roast. Make deep pokes in the fatty part of the meat next to bone with sharp knife. Rub the roast with liquid smoke and alae getting both into the holes. Wrap roast in ti leaves. Split banana leaves down middle vein and cover ti leaves. Wrap in aluminum foil and seal. Cook for 11 hours in a kamado with a hot fire using 5 lbs of charcoal or keawe for a Hawaiian touch. Check coals every 2 hours to see if the fire is still hot. Meat is done when it shreds apart. Don't open foil until the last few hours. OR wrap as directed and roast in an oven at 200 degrees for 8 hours. Taken from back of 1974 calendar from a local Hawaiian newspaper.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Barbara O'keefe Date: 05-21-96

Source: Internet, 12/07/06

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Read Turkey in your handle and these ole eyes got you a turkey recipe. Try this one. When I do the butts I find that the smoke from the BGE negates the need for liquid smoke.

Pork, Butt, Kalua Pig

This is a great luau style pork recipe that doesn't require a whole hog or a big hole in the backyard. Consider this the smoker version of a luau pig.

INGREDIENTS:
    4 lbs pork butt
    2 Tbs salt
    2 Tbs liquid smoke
    1 banana leaf
    4-6 ti leaves

Procedure:
    1 With a sharp knife, make several shallow long cuts along the roast. Rub with salt and liquid smoke. Wrap with banana leaf. Cut the ribs from the ti leaves and wrap over the banana leaf. Oddly enough the best place to get ti leaves is you local florist.
    2 remove foil and place in a shallow pan with water. Place in smoker at about 220 degrees for 6-8 hours. When done, remove leaves and shred pork. Traditionally this is served with poi and sweet potatoes, but it's great on a sandwich too.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Derrick Riches,Your Guide to Barbecues & Grilling.

Source: Internet, 2006/11/29
  • Wild Turkeys
    Options
    Thanks to you both for some guidance. i think I'll skip the liquid smoke as I am smoking the thing. Still not 100% on timing though as I have seem so many different times. Temp looks like 200 or so is best.

Will keep that turkey recipe for future use! thanks