Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need wok info please.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the largest wok that I can fit into my large and what is the best type to buy?

Comments

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    I have the two items you see on this page

http://eggaccessories.com/shop-script_premium/index.php?categoryID=92

A perfect combination.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,843
    Options
    if your going to be cooking at low heats a 16 with hooped handles fits and you can shut the dome. if your cooking at really high temps and stir frying you will want the dome open and i like my 14 inch with a steel handle so that i can remove it from the heat quickly if needed. i like thin cheap carbon steel. you cannot stir fry with the dome closed, its really sauteing with the dome closed. get both of them they are cheap, especially in asian markets, i got a hand hammered 16 and a smaller commercial wok in down town boston for a whopping 22 dollars total
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    It looks like this in the egg with the spider inverted. That is how I solved the problem of access to the handles and the wok still gets killer hot.
    106-0659_IMG.jpg
  • Fishlessman,

Weekend Warrior mentions a spider. I am not sure what this is. Do you use one? I will be in Chicago this weekend and will plan a trip to Chinatown. Hopefully I will find the two different types of woks you are describing in one of the shops there.

Thanks,

Shaf
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    As mentioned a 14in for hot cooking with a wooden handle and a 16in for low and slo with metal half circles on either side.

This might be a place to go check out in Chicago.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/woks-n-things-chicago

I look for them in garage sales and church bazaars etc. usually a few $$ and they are almost always rusted, but that is easy to take care of.
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    A spider is an accessory sold by forum member tjv at eggaccessories.com. It is a rig that sits on your fire ring like your food grate does. It has a ring in the center that would be perfect for holding a wok. It is used for others things also. Depending if you have it legs up or legs down, it lowers or raises the level at which you cook. You can place a food grate or pizza stone on it. Check out the website, he has all kind of wonderful goodies for the egg.