Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Question

Options
BigDaddy - OCT
BigDaddy - OCT Posts: 773
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made a big pot of the apple pie baked beans in my CI dutch oven. After dinner I headed out side to fly my RC helicopter and tinker in the garage. When I came in I found that my lovely bride had cleaned up the kitchen and left my dutch oven full of soapy water. It it tainted now? Do I have to burn it all off and start seasoning it all over?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Bruce

Comments

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Yes -- Wash it well -- maybe with some ammonia...
    Let it dry thoroughly, then rewash with clean water.

Wipe it down with oil, bake it...

And let your bride know if she ever messes with your cast iron again she can sleep on the couch.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I'm really pissed at you. LOL You're playing and the wife is cleaning. I hope you crashed your plane.
    Remember those payback things? Clean it up and yes, my guess is season it again. Not really, just get it cleaned and get stock in PAM. You're lucky she didn't crack it upside your head. That would have my advice to her. LOL

Mike
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Thanks Broc! Mike, I did all the cooking and reminded her how luck she is to have me! Cleaning up was the least she could do! lol Man, I'm glad she never gets on here...

Bruce

Maybe the fire is still hot enough to put it back on...
  • deek
    deek Posts: 8
    Options
    If all she did was soak it there should be no harm, although don't do it again. If she scrubed it she may have stripped away the seasoning which gives it it's non stick qualities. If that's the case you may have to re-season
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Rinse it, dry it, and look at it.

If the seasoning is gone then you will have to re-season it. I have a couple that we can wash with hot soapy water and a scrub sponge. I have others that if I pass them near the sink the seasoning is gone.

It depends on the DO and how well it was seasoned to begin with.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I agree with Rod. Some of mine look at the bottle of beer next to the egg and show little rust spots I swear! others I think I could float in the pool a week and take out and do fried eggs with out a single stick. I think the older it is the better. as in when it was cast. my really old stuff is so much better than any of the new. Lodge is the best of the new but i love the really vintage. even if it is not seasoned well it works great.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    The SHORT answer is YES!
    Hot water clean up = Good
    Hot water and soap clean up = BAD JUJU!
    As mentioned some pans (seemingly the older the better) hold a seasoning better than others, but in my experiences any addition of a soap causes all sort of sticking troubles.
    I don’t think you need to “fire” it to remove any soap residue, just a good cleaning with hot water should do.
    As for seasoning / re-seasoning cast: The best I thing I have ever found is plain old lard. Bring it to smoking, getting the pan coated well and then back off the heat a bit, but still keeping it pretty warm. The longer it’s hot the better the season!
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Thanks for all the help, folks. There was only one spot that lost the seasoning so I just re-oiled and put it in the oven for a couple of hours (it was really late as CWM reminded me) so I think I'm okay.

Bruce