Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reinstalling Dome and Adjustments

Options
Buxwheat
Buxwheat Posts: 727
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I took my dome off today to remove the top gasket. When I reinstalled it, I didn't know how tight to secure the band. Ended up trying to get the rust marks on the bolt back to where they were before I removed it. Anyone know the proper Torque Spec for this bolt?
Also, my lid seems to be aligned properly, but it is does not close as tightly all the way around. For example, one playing card placed on the left side, mid way around the Egg will be held tightly with the dome closed. Under the handle, one card can be slid around easily with the dome closed. Three playing cards are held as tight as on the left side. The right side holds two cards tightly. Between the hinges at the back of the egg is like the front: three cards thick to be held tightly. Is there a way to adjust the band holding the dome or the hinges on the back to get the dome to close equally all the way around? I'm thinking that if there is a gap the thickness of 1 or 2 playing cards, I'll have smoke leaking out and a tough time w/ a low and slow cook. Suggestions?

Comments

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    You might be able to get the position of your dome more even but it doesn't sound like much of a difference to me. On the bolts...tighten 'til they bend. You won't break anything.
  • BP
    BP Posts: 8
    Options
    The sheet that comes with the Large BGE with spring assist has the torque of both upper and lower band bolts at 125 inch pounds.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    When the time comes to remove either band, my intent is to replace the band-tightening bolts & nuts w/ new ones.
  • obstructionist
    Options
    When I installed mine, I tried to find a torque wrench to use to attach the band, but I could not find one that would go that low.

125 inch-pounds is 10.4 lb-ft, and the smallest wrench I found only goes down to 20 lb-ft.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,930
    Options
    good advice and while you're at the hardware store buying the stainless bolts and nuts, buy twice the number of nuts. Then after you have tightened the nuts enough to bend the bolts run a second nut up tight behind the first. This is an old mechanics trick called double nutting and you'll never have to worry about them coming loose.