Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime rib questions:

Options
genew
genew Posts: 40
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had a request today for a family meal in several weeks for 12 to 14 people featuring prime rib. Looking for a recipe and approx how big a prime rib or two to buy?? I know there are 100 recipes to grill a steak but most posters have settled on TRex and I suppose there are 100 ways to cook ribs but most posters have settled more or less on car wash Mikes or the 3-1-1. Is there a prime rib recipe that would be a more or less standard for the forum similar to the steak and ribs recipes?? Would appreciate any input as I've never cooked a prime rib so also wondered about the size to buy. Thanks for any help.
Gene

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    Follow this recipe and you can not go wrong.
  • First, don't buy "a prime rib or two" if you mean separate pieces of meat. What you want is called a standing rib roast, which is the cut of meat that provides "prime rib".

Any butcher will know what you're talking about and be anxious to help you since you'll be paying top dollar for it (~$17-26/lbs depending on whether it's "prime" or "aged" or both or neither, etc.). Anyway, you'll want to allot about 1 rib of every 2 people or slightly less if you're feeling stingy. Some people like the smaller end of the rib roast because it's leaner, some like the bigger end for the opposite reason. Your call. The flavor is in the fat...that's all I'm going to say.

Anyway, once you've got it, it's really easy to cook it. Get a large iron skillet and put it on a burner on high heat until the thing is hotter than hell. Get a good hold of the roast, DON'T GET BURNED, and roll the fatty side of the roat on the skillet. It should sizzle like crazy. You're searing the fat so that the juices stay in.

After that, just rub a little salt and pepper into it and throw it on the BGE with the fatty side up at 225 to 275 degree, until the internal temp is between 120 for rare (assume the risk) to 150 if you're looking for well done'ish, WHICH YOU SHOULD NOT FOR PRIME RIB.

Anyway, make sure that you let the thing stand out for a while before you cook it, as a cold roast will lead to inconsistent cooking.

Don't forget to let it cool for a while after you take it off the grill.

Good luck!
  • genew
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I was planning on buying the standing rib roast but figured it might be better to buy 2 smaller than 1 larger if it was going to be a 6 or 7 rib roast. Thanks again.
    Gene
  • ...to tie it between each rib with kitchen twine!

Haven't tried it with rosemary like the other post recommends, but it sounds good. The method they give for searing in the juices (spiking the temp to +500 degrees before putting it on) is what I use for whole poultry. It works pretty well.

I gotta disagree on the temp though. Lower and slower is the way to go! I'd at least try 275 degrees. Just make sure you have the time on your hands to let it cook. You won't regret it!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Dunno where you buy your meat, but I get standing rib roasts for $6-10 per pound depending on grade.

You can also do an end sear, which turns out very nice as well. Cook it to 10 degrees shy of your finish temp, remove from the grill and bump the temps to 500 or so, then give it 10 more minutes or so to get a nice crust.

Any why sear it on your stove top?

Fire1Small.jpg

Fire2Small.jpg

EndSearing.jpg

DoneResting.jpg
  • Fidel
    Options
    I should have added -

have the butcher remove the ribs and tie them back on for the cook. Then when the roast is done, put those ribs back on the egg at 250 for another couple hours for a great late night snack or a terrific lunch the next day.

Definitely more than one way to skin a cat - with prime rib keep it pretty simple and you'll be very happy with it.
  • genew
    Options
    Thanks for your help. I'll check it out. Just had a really successful baby back rib family dinner. Had 4 meaty racks that had to be trimmed so they'd fit on the grill. Used the rig with the extender and car wash mikes recipe. Like I said it was very successful. That's when they requested the prime rib roast. Hs!
    By the way the ribs took 6 hours.
    Gene
  • genew
    Options
    Geez...very nice pictures and looks like an outstanding cook. Interesting on the end sear. Looks like it's delicious!! Thanks
    Gene
  • Good deal. I'd just never recommend smoking fewer than 3 ribs. Unfortunately, I've never had the occasion for as many ribs as you're talking about. I envy you. Wouldn't think that two sets of 4 ribs would have any issues. I'd just enjoy handling a full 7-rib roast.

Good luck!

Oh, and a good horseradish cream sauce goes along nicely! Try whipping up your own in 4-6+ hours that it takes your roast to cook.
  • Fidel
    Options
    Not to confuse you, those pics are from a couple different cooks. The top ones are a beginning sear, and the last two are from an end sear. On the end sear I did it at 500* indirect.

Both methods work out great.
  • Dude, I want to live in your neighborhood!

Anyway, I live in Chicago, and there's butcher I like nearby. I get/see deals every once in a while for $15ish for "prime", maybe a bit less for "aged", but I've never gotten anything that cheap. That's a sweet deal.
  • Fidel
    Options
    Wouldn't pull your leg...

FreshMarket.jpg

This was Christmas last year for choice grade at Fresh Market.
  • genew
    Options
    Thanks for the additional input. I wondered if you cooked the roast indirect and then for the sear to take out the pan or placesetter and put the cast iron grill on. Ha! I guess it would work that way. On the beginning sear did you cook it on the cast iron grate or did you bring the temp down and put the indirect piece in??
    Gene
  • Fidel
    Options
    I seared it, the put in the plate setter and roasted it on an extended grid.
  • genew
    Options
    Thanks. One more question then I'll let you go. Ha! Which way do you think produces the best end product?? The beginning sear or the end sear?? Can you tell any difference??
    Gene
  • Fidel
    Options
    I don't know if it is a fair comparison simply because I season them differently, and quite honestly each piece of meat is different.

I have had good luck both ways, but the best one I ever did I followed the mad max directions for cooking, but kept the seasoning to a simple kosher salt and black pepper.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I followed thrideye's recipe without a sear.
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html
    His pages are a great read for some good eatin and learnin.

primerib.jpg

primeribcut.jpg

Mighty fine eats that night.

GG
  • genew
    Options
    Thanks..forgot about 3rd eye's recipes. Your roast looks great. I am always concerned with cooking time on the egg as I am afraid the roast will be done too soon before all the guests arrive. I love the egg and think there is no better eating but seems like the time always varies. Good Cooking!!!
    Gene
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Thanks Rod,

By chance, I was typing a question on the +/- of a reverse vs initial sear when I saw your comments.

Biggest issue I see with searing at the beginning is having to cool down the egg which can take some time I guess... Guess I will decide tonight just before egging.

I have had great luck w/reverse sear. Here is a 10# I did a while back.

20071123Garys%20Bday%20and%20November%20002.JPG