Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Papa Murphy's pizza?????

Options
cpowers
cpowers Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever tried to bake a Papa Murphy's pizza on the egg? Do you just follow the instructions it comes with? We just bought the plate setter and stone and this is our first attempt at a pizza.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,930
    Options
    I tried it once and just followed their instructions. While it baked up fine we just didn't care for their ingredients - it was quantity not quality. If you have a Nick-n-Willies in your area that is far superior IMO.
  • cpowers
    Options
    Thanks! I am hoping to make one ourselves next time...baby steps! :)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,930
    Options
    Homemade are the best - I should have clarified my knock of PM - I've just spoiled my wife and myself in using freshly grated quality cheeses, homemade sauce and of course our favorite toppings. As for crust we can purchase a thin one made by a pizzeria out of St Louis so maybe I'm cheating in that regard! Just the same from start to finish it takes me 55 minutes to build a single 12" pizza, but it's so loaded that we get two meals out of it. Here's a picture of one from the past.
    IMG_2139.jpg
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I've done a few, I buy the pepperoni one and put Italian sausage and enough cheese to bond the meat to the pie, then cook it indirect on a raised grid. You don't need a stone their pan works just fine. -RP
  • Absolutely
    Options
    We tried slipping it off their tray (once) and not an easy thing. ;)
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    So far…I’ve only done “home made” with crust from the kitchen and a pre-made, but cheating or not any pizza baked on the Egg is going to be superior to one from the oven…If only for the Smokey taste for nothing else!
    Personally, we like PM pies for the money…I may have to try one on the Egg.
    But…Again, an Egg baked (no matter the source) will certainly add an additional dimension
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Hmm...I did these a few weeks back, and they did not have a smoky taste whatsoever. One was a cheese pizza, to which the kids added their pepperoni, and the other was one of those "kitchen sink" pizzas to which I added some basil and jalapenos

IMG_1671.jpg
    IMG_1667.jpg

I like their pies, but I may try my hand again at some homemade crusts and sauces.
  • cpowers
    Options
    Well...the pizza turned out great! It was crispy and had a smoky taste. We were really impressed. It took longer to bake but I think we needed a higher temp and to lose the pizza stone since we left it on their cooking sheet. By any rate it beats the oven! I really appreciate all the feedback!