Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Pork Shoulder Roast....

NWFLyGuy
NWFLyGuy Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all. First off, Wow! This site is awesome!

So I just picked up my first egg a week ago and have used it every night. Steaks, hamburgers, chicken, salmon, pizza...small stuff. Now that the weekend is here I'm about to get serious. Tomorrow I'll be doing beef short ribs. From what I read, 6 hours at 225* indirect should do it.

Sunday I'll be cooking a boneless pork shoulder roast. It's about 6 lbs and from what I have read it looks like I should cook it for a little less than 2 hours per pound. About 200 degrees?? Should I use much smoke? I have alder, mesquite, and pecan. Any suggestions there?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    First, WELCOME!!!!

On the pork roast, if you are cooking it to make pulled pork, then the internal temp should be about 190F-205F. Personally,I pull mine 192F. A dome temp of 200F will take forever to get the meat up to those temps. at 250-275 you will cook the butt with no trouble. If you are cooking it to slice, then 175F-185F internal temp. I personally use hickory and pecan, when cooking pork. I wish I had hickory's cousin mesquite, if I had it, I would use it with pecan. HTH. I know you'll do great!
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Ditto Big\'un's suggestions.

Holding 200º is a bear! 250º-275º is easier to hold and won't make that much of a difference overall.

Shoulder and butt are the most forgiving pieces of pig you can cook. Hard to mess them up.

Welcome and good luck.
  • NWFLyGuy
    NWFLyGuy Posts: 10
    Thanks to both of you. The higher temp is pretty critical and it helped me avoid my next post titled, "Pork shoulder roast - 23 hours and counting"!

More to come...