Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wicked (not so) Good Charcoal

Crüe-B-Cüe
Crüe-B-Cüe Posts: 76
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a couple of WGC Weekend Warrior a few weeks ago. Just got around to trying it out last night for some steaks. I have to say, that I was not that impressed with it for grilling. I have yet to try it for smoking. First thing was it was very hard to light. Even with the weedburner. There was lots of popping, cracking and sparks flying everywhere. I finally got it lit and left the dome open for a few minutes to let it get going good. I closed the lid, set my vents for about 450* fire and went inside. I came back out about 15 minutes later and was shocked when I opened the egg. The entire inside was white. It looked like someone took a spray can of paint to inside of the egg. Even the grate and rig were white. You can see where I scraped a little bit off in the pic. I threw the steaks on. They turned out great. I rubbed them with DP Cowlick and Raising the Steaks and served with some twice baked taters.

I was also surprised at the amount of ash after the cook. Way more than RO lump. I think for half the price, less fireworks and less ash, I'll stick with RO.

white.jpg

steak.jpg

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I can't get WG out here but your report is interesting indeed expecially with all the past good reports. I have wanted to give it a try at some point in time.

Is the white an ash/soot or is it the result of high heat and a cleaning?

GG
  • I haven't used Weekend Warrior for grilling but I have used it for smoking a couple of butts with a brisket. I was very happy with the result but at $20 a bag for a 20 lb. bag of Wicked Good vs. $8.75 for a 20 lb. Royal Oak at Restaurant Depot I did not see a $11.25 difference.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    I think you got a bad bag of WGC and an older one. I suggest you call WGC and I am positive they will help.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Just finished my first (20 lb) bag of WGC WW and didn't notice any residue issues. It was definitely harder to light than BGE, but I didn't notice excessive ash issues either. I'm going to be trying others as I paid $22 for the WW. As yet haven't seen Royal Oak available in Portland, though I think it must be.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,210
    ive only used their comp blend which isnt available. pops during lighting with a torch but i havent seen any white ash residue filling the egg. i cook from 145 to 1100 plus with the stuff, will be getting the weekend warrior blend when i run out of the comp, hoping that was just a bad bag you got there.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    i just tried my wicked good for the first time this week and it was popping like a bowl of rice crispies. i even posted a thread about it.

didn't get the white coating on the grill. that is a bit worriesome.

will be interested to hear where this goes and what info i can learn.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,210
    it doesnt bother me if its popping during the lighting stage, but does the weekend wattior still pop later when your cooking. ive learned to wear glasses and a hat when lighting the comp blend but there are no problems when the egg is ready to cook on.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • double L
    double L Posts: 90
    Stanly I get my R/O made in usa at walmart the only place I can get it otherwise I wouldnt plug them. I can only get 10lb bags @ 5.27 per.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Stanley,

Another source is Kroger. Look at the Kroger site and it will show their subsidiaries. Out here we have Smith Food King (Korger owned). They will order in the Kroger brand which is private label Royal Oak.

Kent
  • You must have a bad bag. We purchased a pallet of WG and have no reason to use anything else. It has very low ash production, but it does pop a bit while lighting (mapp gas), so I wear safety glasses. If I use an electric coil it doesn't pop at all, but the coil is no fun. It settles down while heating up. I've never seen the "white" problem you encountered. If I paid $20.00 a bag and had these problems I would be a little upset. The good news is that you can call WG and they will solve any problems you are having, I am sure. By the way, when purchased by the pallet load the cost is around half as much, and that is delivered to the mid-U.S. Good luck.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    it was popping when i used BGE starter cubes.

me and a MAPP would be deadly.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    BENTE posted about a similar problem with some Argentinian Royal Oak last week. The WGWW is made from a blend of South American hardwoods. I have used Royal Oak (Argentina) and have not had this problem. I've had a few popping/sparking incidents, but never the white ash issue.

My guess is that there is a species of South American hardwood that is being harvested (either mistakenly or on purpose) and used that is similar to the North American Poplar tree. It may not be in all - or even in many - bags of South American lump, but it obviously appears in some cases.

Anyone that has ever put a piece of poplar in their fireplace or wood stove will understand what I am trying to convey here.

FWIW - I have used WGWW and never had any problems. It has always been terrific in my opinion.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    I have about 15 small bags of CB left and I'm trying to stretch it out. I mix with WW from time to time.

Ash? Not a big problem when I burn it. Very little ash as a matter of fact.

It is hard to light but once you get the "hang" of it there isn't a problem.

I hear you are going after a pallet of WW soon. stike said he wanted to get in on it have you talked to him. I might even get a piece of the action. Let me know.
  • I have been using WGC for about 5 months now. It always turns the inside of my egg white-ish whenever I burn at higher temps for more than 30-60 minutes or so. I don't think this is residue. It seems to be burning hot enough to burn off the carbon and soot, thus cleaning the egg so that some of the original white ceramic shows through. When I scrape it with a grill brush it generally stays white-ish unless I brush it with a really dirty brush, or if I wipe across a dirty area onto a clean area.

I will check again next time I cook to be sure but this doesn't happen with lower temps so I don't expect it to be a residue. If it is a residue then perhaps it is from capping the egg while hot? I always close the bottom vent and use the ceramic cap on a hot egg to shut it down faster but figured that this might be trapping some smoldering smoke or fumes in the egg making it get dirty faster...
  • That pic was after 15 minutes of heating. The daisy wheel is also caked in white stuff.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Kroger in Portland is Fred Meyer, and they don't carry RO. I haven't been in a Walmart in years - hope I don't have to change that. Thanks.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Stanley,

Fred Meyer probably won't have RO. It will be Kroger brand which IS Royal Oak but packaged for Kroger.

The manager of Smiths down here was more than happy to order any quantity I wanted. They said it takes from 3 days to 10 days to get it in. It took them 3 days.

Talk to Fred Meyer folks and ask the to order Kroger lump for you if it isn't in stock.

Kent
  • Klag
    Klag Posts: 208
    Wicked Good Weekend Warrior is my favorite lump. Has the biggest pieces, burns forever, and with 1 starter cube broken in half, it's super easy to get lit with all the big pieces. I use it for grilling and smoking, love it.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    We did a pallet this summer and the ash is whiter than others we have burnt and it does pop and crack when lighting, but not a big deal burns hot and clean when it gets going. I do give it about 10 minutes more than other lump for lighting. We use the oil and paper towel to light it and all is fine. Nice size chunks and a few LOGS LOL that are being saved to top off an all nighter, we will do another pallet when this is gone. we split it up with a few friends that are egger's.