Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza

Options
flajoker
flajoker Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone ever tried cooking a pizza from Sam's on the egg? They make a great pizza for the price and thought I would try it. Any suggestions on time and temp. It is not a frozen pizza.
Thanks

Comments

• flajoker,
    It would probably work fine as long as the temp is about the same as the recommended oven temp. But....why bother? In my mind, the prime reason for a Sam's pizza is speed and convenience and not taste, but if I have to spend 30 minutes building a fire and waiting for it to get to temp, the purpose is defeated. "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Now, when I make my own pizza and dough to my specific taste, then Pizza is not a convenience but a treat and worth the effort to cook on the egg.

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    flajoker,[p]If the pizza is one of those cardboard crust pies they sell in the cooler section, I would say follow the package directions. Keep in mind a double stacked stone or platesetter/stone setup would be ideal to keep from getting hotspots. I'm thinking you want to keep the temps under 450º for those. If you are talking about a take and bake with raw dough from the concession area, I would take it to at least 500º or even 550º. This would be a cook directly on the stone with a little corn meal or semolina flour on the bottom of the pie.[p]The key to this is allow the egg to fully equalize temp with the stones. Generally this means when the cooker gets to temp allow it to hold this temp for another 15 minutes or so. This will allow the stored heat in the dome to cook the top and the stone to cook the bottom. [p]HTH!
    Ashley

• flajoker
    Options
    Wouter, You guys are tough:) Do you know of a quick dough to make after a work day? The last pizza I tried was burnt on one side and good on the other. All that work for 1/2 a pizza.

• flajoker,
    I do mine in the food processor.
    1 3/4 to 2 cups flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    While running the processor, pour in 1 packet of yeast, dissolved and proofed in 1/4 cup warm H20. THen slowly pour in warm water (about 1/2 - 3/4 cup depending on the water content of the flour) with the processor running till the dough balls up. THen stop and test texture. It should be soft and a bit sticky. If not, add water little by little with processor running to achieve this. Once at good texture, process for 20 to 30 seconds more.
    Then pull out of processor and put in a bowl coated with olive oil to rise. It should be sticky enough that you need to moisten fingers with oil to avoid sticking.
    Allow to rise to double, then punch down, let rest for 15 minutes, then shape. [p]What I do is make the dough the night before. And after punching down, I put in in the fridge, covered with plastic wrap. Then I pull it out 1 hour before I need it to allow it to get to room temp. If you want to eat right away, and no one is home to pull it out of the fridge, you are stuck and then plan B with Sam's seems like the best plan. By the way, I like the Sams pizza, especially when I am in a hurry. 10 minutes for the oven to preheat, then 10 minutes on a stone in the oven. [p]

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    flajoker,[p]IMHO, I might just be the expert when it come to baking frozen or pre-made pizzas on the Egg. I do them all the time including today for lunch. When doing your own from scratch, Spin's method can not be beat, baking the pie on a pizza stone. We enjoy the convenience of "ready to bake" but are not willing to give up the brick oven flavor that the "ritual" of cooking on the Egg provides vs. your oven.[p]My experiments have shown that the best results can be obtained by using an inverted (legs up) plate setter with the cooking grid setting on the legs. Place the pie right on the raised cooking grid. Most pre-made pizza directions will call for temps around 425* or so. Ignore these and run your Egg at accurate 500-525* with fully preheated plate setter, while baking for the same recommended number of minutes. I've had better success this way getting the crust and toppings to finish at the same time.[p]Love those self rising Fresettas or Boboli shells with home made sauce and toppings, or Sam's pizzas (excellent, as you have stated) or yada yada yada.[p]enjoy,[p]K~G
  • Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    flajoker,
    A lot of people Egg their pizza above 500 degrees. I find if I do that the bottom is cajun style before the top is done. I like to bake mine between 325 and 350 degrees for 30 minutes unless it it is a Chicago style pizza and then 45 minutes works well. I use a grill extender and a pizza stone or a plate setter works great, too. Papa Murphy's pizza is really great on the BGE. [p]Julie