Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A-1 Sauce

Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Publix has them 2 for 1 and I'm wondering if anyone here uses it (be nice!)~~

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Sometimes I will mix some in when I make burgers. Haven't tried it with chile yet, but it might add some flavor.
  • Eggscaper
    Eggscaper Posts: 213
    used to use it all the time but then i got some Steven Raichlen Steak Rub thats all she wrote

Doug
    Dallas,Ga
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I use it now and then. I like it.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    I ran across these clone A-1 recipes while looking for something else. Might be something here you could tweak to your needs.

Spring "Spicy Tweak'n" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

Homemade Steak Sauce

We love A1 sauce, but it is so expensive. Does anyone have a recipe for steak sauce? Jacqueline

An Excellent Clone

Here's a recipe from recipegoldmine.com "Classy Clones" section. I've not tried it, but other recipes posted there were excellent clones! The site has a lot of good recipes, crafting, and household hints.

A-1 Steak Sauce

1/2 C. orange juice
    1/2 C. raisins
    1/4 C. soy sauce
    1/4 C. white vinegar
    2 T. Dijon mustard
    1 T. grated orange peel
    2 T. catsup
    2 T. chili sauce

Bring all the ingredients to a boil, and then boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Allow the mixture to cool to lukewarm. Pour the mixture into a blender until it is smooth. Pour it into a bottle and cap tightly. Refrigerate and use within 90 days.
    Heather in NJ

The Family Favorite

For a great steak sauce, I mix equal amounts of Worcestershire sauce and ketchup with a dash of onion powder.
    Travis

Great Recipes at this Site

Go to topsecretrecipies.com. At this site, you will find lots of recipes of famous brands like Heinz ketchup and Kentucky fried chicken. I didn't see a recipe for A1 sauce. However, I did find the sauce recipes from the Lonestar steakhouse and the Outback steakhouse.
    Mandy

Inexpensive Alternative

If you have an Aldi Foods Grocery Store near you, try their steak sauce. You may be pleasantly surprised.
    Traci

Save Big at Save-a-Lot

Forget the A1 and try something different. If you have a Save-a-Lot near you, their knockoff of A1 tastes great, and for about $1 for a large bottle, it is a great deal. We even add it to marinades without worrying about how much we are using.
    Allison

Try This Great Alternative

Here is a totally inexpensive alternative. I use it in the crockpot over a roast. It tastes very much like A1 steak sauce.

1/2 cup ketchup
    1/3 cup lemon juice (bottled)
    Salt and Pepper

Put the ingredients in small pan and simmer. Bottle and keep refrigerated. You can double or triple this recipe.
    Patrick of Milwaukee, WI

You'll Love It!

My husband loves this version of homemade A-1 sauce. I found this recipe in "Country Woman Magazine," dated July/August 1995.

2 cups ketchup
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2/3 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup each lemon juice, water, Worcestershire sauce and vinegar
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
    2 tablespoons prepared mustard

Combine all of the ingredients in a 3-quart saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Strain if desired. Cover and refrigerate. Yield: about 3 cups
    K.M.

Elaine's Homemade Steak Sauce

I make my own steak sauce recipe that is so easy. I have been told that it tastes similar to the A1 brand that costs so much in the grocery store.

Put equal amounts of Worcestershire sauce and ketchup into a glass container and heat in the microwave to simmer. (I like to add some ground ginger before cooking). Add one teaspoon of ground ginger to 2 cups of the ketchup and Worcestershire sauce mixture before simmering. If one desires it to be a little sweet, you may add some brown sugar to taste. After this cools, I pour it into a squeeze bottle, or any container, and keep it in the cupboard. You can refrigerate it if you desire.
    Elaine
  • Bushgator
    Bushgator Posts: 112
    I use it when we go to the waffle house for breakfast sometimes and its great on the hashbrowns, so is the heinz 57 sauce.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    A1 is good if you mess up a steak or when you have left overs. My son likes it on his...mashed potatoes. :blink:
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    My wife likes it so she'll put some on my plate too. I usually dip about a third of my pieces in it.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    the only steak sauce ive used in years is peter lugers, and its for the tomato/cucumber salad. if you dont like it on the steak you could probably use it up in homemade salad dressings
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Coburn
    Coburn Posts: 21
    Have it in the fridge because my wife likes it but I rarely use it.
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Only on my well done, dry-aged porterhouses.
    I actually make many meals out of A-1 and Fritos when I was in school.

Walt
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Why ruin the taste of a good steak by putting sauces on it?
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Read the post "well done" dry aged.
    Why ruin a good steak by burning it. This proves my point- sarcasm doesn't translate in print. :)

Walt
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    A1 and mashed potatoes. YUM! Otherwise, not a big fan.
  • Ala-Egg
    Ala-Egg Posts: 162
    I love dipping bread in it.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Shoot me an e-mail if you want the entire book on pdf file.

A1 Sauce
    1/2 Cup Orange Juice
    1/2 Cup Raisins
    1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
    1/4 Cup White Vinegar
    2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
    1 Tbsp Bottled Grated Orange Peel
    2 Tbsp Heinz Ketchup
    2 Tbsp Heinz Chili Sauce
    1. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes stirring.
    2. Remove from heat. Allow to cool to lukewarm.
    3. Put mixture in a blender till it is pureed. Pour in bottle.
    4. Cap tightly and refrigerate to use within 90 days.
    A1 Sauce 7

Mike