Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st cook over 400.................

Options
jughead
jughead Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
and the gasket is GONE. only had the egg 3 weeks. Dealer that delivered and setup don't care. Anyone in the Fairhope Alabama that can show a new owner how to correctly set up an egg?

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Sorry you have a less than honorable dealer but this site is great for info.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm
  • Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    Options
    Hang in there. Better days are ahead with the Egg. Try searching this site "Gasket Replacement". I recently replaced my gasket with a nomex from the mother-ship and used 3m super 77. After the third cook it was stuck like glue. :laugh: :laugh:

Getting blown away in Jacksonville, Fl
    Gordon
  • Riley
    Riley Posts: 51
    Options
    Same here man. I lost mine on my first steak cook. But it's very easy to replace. My dealer didn't even have any gaskets in stock. I didn't want to wait for a replacement from the factory, so I went to another dealer and bought a replacement.

Used some Super 77, and it was great, except I pulled it too tight. Nothing was really hanging over until it got warm, then it was overhanging into the egg, and part of it came off. I replaced that part, and didn't pull on it too tightly when wrapping it around, and I'm sitting pretty.

Just use the Super 77, and don't pull it too tightly. There's plenty of material there so you don't have to wrap it too tight.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Nomex from BGE is only available from BGE direct. Until I showed my dealer what it was he had no idea that Nomex existed.

Nomex is a higher resistance to heat than the felt. However, the adhesive seems to be a problem of late.

Makle sure you have no gaps between the top/bottom gasket before firing up again.

To remove your gasket a lot of folks are reporting using probane or MAPP gas works well. In short lengths heat & pull, heat & pull.

Clean with acetone. Acetone is inexpensive if bought in the beauty section at walmart. The gals use it for removing fingernails.

Some folks are using razor blades. BGE has said not to use chemical 'adhesive removers' and not to use power tools.

GG
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Gasket...? :ohmy:

Whatza gasket? :S

I've been Eggin' for over a year without one -- just don't drop the lid.

Keep on Eggin' -- Full Steam Ahead!

:):) :laugh: :):)
  • Egg-on-Medford
    Options
    I hit 650 tonight on my third cook, but only briefly. I'm on my way out to check the gasket.