Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why I Hesitate To Eat BBQ

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was in Target earlier today and noticed that they are selling bags of 'fatwood' in the BBQ section. Apparently, it is for those who know absolutely nothing about cooking over charcoal.

I sure wouldn't want to eat what was cooked on that grill.

Another reason I prefer to hang around Eggheads...

Spring "Always On The Other Side Of The Road" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    What on earth is "fatwood?" I must be out of that loop.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    With the resin natural or not I don't think I want to try it

http://www.fatwood.com/
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    According to one site:

"Fatwood is 100 percent natural firestarter. Fatwood fire starter is wood that through a natural process becomes saturated with pitch, a flammable product absorbed into the fatwood making it easy to light!"

It's great for a campground fire but NEVER for a grill.

Spring "With Google, I Know All Things" Chicken
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Read carefully, I wouldn't want to BBQ with this. I do have a lot of pines in my backyard though...

Here is what one website says:

Fatwood and Fatlighter are slang expressions which have been used in the South for many, many years to describe the amount of pitch (resin) in pine wood.

Approximately 8" in length and 3/4" in diameter, Fatwood is made from splitting the stumps of pine trees that contain a high concentration of natural resin. This organic, 100% natural resin allows the Fatwood to be started with a single match and gives a sustained flame.

Our fire starters are 100% natural with no chemicals or additives making them a user and environmentally friendly product. Fatwood offers a safe, simple, and mess-free way to start any fire and is used in fireplaces, pellet fuel stoves, barbecues, wood/coal stoves
    and campfires.

I have lived in the south almost all my life and I never heard of that....
  • BoneDaddy's
    Options
    It is just a fire starter....
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Us kids used to look for 'pine knots' over in Louisiana and when we found one we were very pleased because they were rare. My folks used them to start the fireplace and fires for the annual 'hog kill'n.' I just remember a very black, acrid smoke coming off the fire and followed me wherever I went. Plus, when you got the pitch on your hands it would be there for awhile and stick to everything you touched.

Cooking over it, especially in an Egg would be really bad. But I'm sure there are a few among us who do.

Spring "Sticky Fingers" Chicken
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Ugh...I can just imagine the long-term effects of using these things: Creosote coating the Egg.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Kim, It's also called "lighter knot". If you go to an old pine stump, and kick the top of the rotten stump away the center will be left there. And after a few more pushes/kicks with the bottom of your shoe around the whole stump, you can pull out a "post" for lack of a better word(about 6ft long for an average pine). Cut it down and split it vertically and you have lighter knot. The smoke looks like tar burning, it's so black, but it'll light super easy. Like Leroy said, it's loaded with resin, and it puts off alot of creosote which will stick to and de-season the inside of your egg. Anything cooked in there after that will have a trace taste of the lighter knot. :sick: HTH.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    yep in a survival class I took a looooong time ago they told us to start a fire in any weather if you found a pine cut it and get sap to ooze out...then get the sap on a stick, twig, leaves whatever and get it lit...it would start a fire..a nasty black smoke fire but a fire nontheless...I still do not want to cook over it unless I have to...
  • Eggscaper
    Eggscaper Posts: 213
    Options
    I hope nobody tries to use some at EGGTOBERFEST because there are alot of pine in Ga. :sick::sick::sick:

Doug
    Dallas,Ga.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Doug123 comes to mind. We'll be hanging out so I'll try to keep an eye on him with help from Bacchus. Sorry to volunteer you Ron but might need your help.
    (Wait till sparky reads this :laugh:)
  • Egg-on-Medford
    Options
    We use it to start our fireplace. Wouldn't think of using it in the BGE, but I guess some people would.
  • nasty black smoke.
    pitch pine.... cause they made pitch out of it!!,used to seal up the space between the planks of old wooden sailing ships.
    distilled to yield turpentine.
    grilled shrimp and peppers dusted with your favorite rub and just a hint of turpentine
    yummy
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    "I keep chewing this shrimp, but I just can't swallow it!" :woohoo:
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Pat,don't worry,I'm not cooking at Eggtoberfest :lol: I might help start the fires though :evil: :whistle::lol: