Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ham is past sell date

Options
Bushgator
Bushgator Posts: 112
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My vaccumed packed ham has a sell by 8-19-08
which was yesterdays date I did not open it and it has been in the fridge for about4-5 days will it still be ok if I egg it today or by tomorow?
I have a cold so I cant smell anything Thanks

Comments

• 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    I would eat eat but not serve it to friends.

Kinda odd but that way way if someone got sick (unlikely) then it would just be me and the family.

of course if someone in the family has a weak immune system then I would pass on serving it to them.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    "sell by" isn't the same as "use by"

you are fine, assuming it was kept in the peoper temps (sub 40)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    Sell by date if placed on the product by the manufacture are supposed to give you 7 days past and still be safe. If this is a smoked ham no problem at all. Even if a little slick but no smell rinse it off. If fresh ham you will know when you open it if it is bad.
    E
  • Bushgator
    Bushgator Posts: 112
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your reply, I am gonna get my wife to wiff it down good when she gets home, I know when we have a bad odor somewher in the house here she can hunker down and locate it in minutes better that a pack of hounds after a coon lol. David