Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Cook Follow-up

Options
Soccer Guy
Soccer Guy Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to RhumandJerk for the advise that two pork butts and a brisquite would be enough, and was it ever, I still have left overs. The pork was execellent and the beef was not bad but could have been better.[p]Now a question or two about my setup and cook.[p]I took the fire ring out and placed a weber charcoal grate on the firebox with a huge drip pan and two firebricks on it. I then place the cooking grate and beef bris with two fire bricks on it. I then placed a second cooking grate with the two butts on it. I had to have the bottom vent open half-way or more to get the temp to 200 - 225. I started the cook at 10am Sat and the beef was ready 8am Sun with a temp of 198 - 203 in different areas. At 10am the port was 198 and so I took it off.[p]The pork pulled great, the beef was not pull apart tender. Having the beef this close to the flame did it ruin it, give me a false since of doneness?[p]I have tried several chuncks of beef and this was the worst so far on the egg. The others were cooked alone and were ok but not pull apart tender.[p]Any suggestions on the setup would be appreciated as well.[p]Again, thanks to those who responed from my previous posts and I AM going to do another beef bris this weekend so that I get it right.

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Soccer Guy,
    Glad to hear that everything turned out great.
    In my experience, Brisket is about the hardest thing to cook right. The other part of the brisket is to use the right rub or else your beef ends up tasting like pork.[p]At some time in the future, try a brisket by itself. Also, brisket when made right should not pull apart rather slice nicely.[p]Good Job,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Soccer Guy,
    With brisket they are not made equal, the brisket that cooked was it a select, choice or prime? A select brisket may need to be taken to 205 or hslightly higher to be tender.
    While competing ideal brisket is cut 1/4" thick cut on the bias, that piece of brisket if you grab it by both ends it should hold together but with a slight pull it will come apart.
    Jim

• Soccer Guy
    Options
    Jim Minion,[p]I am not sure of the cut, it was purchased from Tom Thumb on sale $0.75 per lb and it was a whole chunck of beef. I will check next time. It did have a nice soft/pliable feel when I purchased it. I flipped it over my forearm and it made a U.[p]Thanks,
    BRB