Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What did you say?

sirlancealot
sirlancealot Posts: 506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When you first laid eyes on a bge,what was your first response.And after you recovered from the shock of it,what convinced you to buy it.Especially if you didn"t have the opportunity to taste any food from it before purchasing.Or was it the hype that cause you to buy.When i went into a grill store to look at some grills,I wanted one for the summer. I saw this green thing and said "WHAT THE HECK IS THAT THING".The salesman went on to explain it to me and i said oyeah,really, no kidding,hmmmm,enteresting,you don"t say.took a brocure home, logged on to the forum and the rest is history.Needless to say he took my mind off any other grill and ya"ll put the icing on it :) ."Peace".

Comments

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    I said, "hey honey,.. Look at these idiots with this ceramic job trying to compete with these real pits" I was in Lynchburg TN, at the Jack Daniels Bar B Q cookoff. Oh well, Its kinda nice being one of those idiots now. ;);)
  • I bet you told your wife with alot of imphasis"THESE IDIOTS",Didn"t you?. :)
  • One evening I was surfing the net reading up on BBQ. I stumbled upon a story by a journalist who was on a trek across this great land sampling BBQ joints. In the beginning of the article he mentioned that when he is at home he cooks on his Big Green Egg, and there was a link. The entire time I was reading the article I was wondering what in the world is a Big Green Egg. After reading the article I scrolled back up and read about the egg. I called one of my brothers and told him to go the the site. In less than 5 minutes he was convinced. (This is the same man who told me I needed to get a chimney starter, and after I did, he told me I needed to get an electric starter, and he was not quite correct on either one, I needed a Mapp torch, but I digress ;) ) Myself, being a skeptic, was not convinced. The more I looked into it, I started to believe it may be the real McCoy. But, remembering the chimney starter, electric starter, Mapp torch routine, I figured I may buy the Big Green Egg only to discover I should have bought the Big Orange Pumpkin, or the Big Red Tomato. A little research showed me the BGE is made by a large company that would be most likely to be around in the future should I need parts, and has terrific customer service, well the choice was obvious. And I can say with all honesty that the BGE is the only product I have ever seen in my life that actually lives up to the hype. (Although I did see Robert Klein on tv saying the same thing about a little blue pill that came on the market about 10 years ago, but that is another topic, and one for another forum).
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    The first time i saw one i knew i had to get it because it matched my Faberge' egg collection and it was a lot cheaper. the fact that you can use it for cooking was a nice bonus.....
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I'd been trying to get decent ribs off a long series of ordinary back-yard grills, kettles, bullet smokers, etc. Never made anything that more than halfway satisfied me. Was looking for something better. Figured I needed an off-set cooker. Lots of folks around where I live have home made ones, and I'd had some 'Q from them that was really good.

However, I was surfing the web one day, and saw a site where a guy had hooked up a a little motor regulated by a heat sensor that controlled the vent door of the ceramic "kamado" cooker. Thought it was kind of nuts, and when I looked around at the various brands, I was sort of astonished at the price. Noticed that there was a dealer in my area for one called a "Green Egg."

I spent another 18 months going over the pros and cons of offset vs. ceramic. Never knew about this forum, or my mind would have been made up a lot sooner. Decided that ceramic that would last just about forever was a good idea.

So about 2 years ago, as I was getting my rusty, dusty ECB out for the first spring cook, I decided to drive over to the "Egg" seller, and have a look. While I stood there, sort of debating with myself, the sale-lady came over, and pointed to a medium and said she'd throw in the nest for free. Sold!

When my wife told me within 2 months that the ribs I was now making were as good as any she'd had, I figured I'd made the right decision. And when I have company over for dinner, I get to enjoy the perplexed looks on folks' faces as they try to figure out how their dinner is going to come out of the strange alien space ships sitting out back.
  • little blue pill,that"s funny :laugh: .
  • the shape does get you at first huh...
  • I decided to learn how to cook something people might actually want to eat, so I bought a book on the subject. In the back of the book was a section on different types of grills. One of these was the BGE. I searched the web, found this forum, and ordered one about three days later.
    People do actually want to eat my food now.