Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old Eggs, New Eggs

Options
Tonasket Bill
Tonasket Bill Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
New to the forum but not to the wonderful world of The Egg. 15 years ago my wife found an ancient Egg at a yard sale for $20. We found out years later from an Egg affectionado that our Egg was either a '74 or a '75. Still cooking strong but with advancing cracks when we left it with the new homeowners 2 years ago.

This month I had a birthday and my dear wife bought me a BRAND NEW EGG!!!! Wow have things changed; the nest, the lift mechanism, the damper top, the mesh on the draft door and the ceramic material WOW!! That's new!!

Couple of questions. I have several of the Egg cookbooks, one came with a pink paper insert titled IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE USING YOUR BIG GREEN EGG. There is a paragraph titled CURING YOUR BIG GREEN EGG, that states that for best results "cure" your Big Green Egg in this manner. It then describes firing the Egg at 200F for 2 hours. I can't find any other reference to this anywhere else in the literature. Is this procedure still recommended for the Egg?

Also we have a pizza stone that we've used in our oven for years. Can we use that on the plate setter or do we need to buy a genuine BGE pizza stone?

Thanks for your help. Can't wait to fire up this new Egg and get back to enjoying the greatest cooking experience I've ever had.

Comments

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Welcome --

I'm relatively new to Egging, and don't have all the answers. I don't think it's necessary to "cure" any, new ceramic cooker...

There's debate about whether to keep the first up-to-ten cooks under 400F to "cure" or "burn in" the gasket. I didn't do this on either of my eggs, and I no longer have much more than charred bits where gaskets once lived, breathed, made love...

But I don't care -- being gasketless, that is -- as I just keep on a-Eggin!

Friends tell me that "regular" pizza stones for indoor ovens don't fare too well on ceramic cookers. Suggested to but a BGE pizza stone, or one produced by a competitor.

Having never seen a competitor's cermaic cooker, I can't speak to that issue, either!

Enjoy --

~ Broc

:);):)
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    The only thing I would recommend is that you keep the temp below 400 for the first 4-5 cooks. There seems to be an issue with the gasket adhesive with higher temps. -RP
  • Grillmama
    Grillmama Posts: 194
    Options
    I am going to tell you now, I am not an eggspert. I kept my first 10 cooks below 400-450 per the forums advice, and I still have a gasket. I just listened to them that is all.... :whistle:
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    If you have a nice heavy pizza stone, you can use it in the Egg. The thinner lighter ones like pampered chef will not hold up in the Egg. I have been using one that I bought 7 years ago from Crate and Barrel, as well as the 2 Egg stones, and they have all held up very well.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    The biggest problem with gaskets comes from the dome not sitting properly on the base. Use a dolar bill to check for gaps, correct any you find, and you should be fine.
    The new Eggs are not temp limited like your old one.