Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

snap, crackle & pop..... what is this?

Options
deepsouth
deepsouth Posts: 1,796
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i've been using cowboy brand lump and just opened my first back of wicked good and mixed some in. the wicked good lump is HUGE in comparison..... i realize i should have taken the small stuff out and put the big stuff on top, but i didn't this time.....

anyway.....

my question.... i've never had my egg snap, crackle & pop before. what is this phenomenon?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    New lump, with an extra large order of VOCs. It will clam down after awhile. Try using the new stuff on the bottom.

Found this web site and I'm really enjoying it. Thanks for the beer post earlier.

http://beeradvocate.com/login
  • deepsouth
    Options
    i got on there last year! here is my profile page.....

http://beeradvocate.com/user/profile/deepsouth

are you mike in abita over there as well???

the missus and i just got back from covington. we went to eat at acme oyster house and then went shopping and beer shopping at acquistipace. the grocery tab was $86 and the beer tab was $265!!!!!

got some great stuff there.

when i was checking out, a lady got caught shoplifting and made a HUGE scene. really got the nerves going.

had fun regardless.
  • deepsouth
    Options
    fiver29 from here is also fiver29 over on beeradvocate as well.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Yep I'm Mike in Abita there as well. Gotta love those shoplifters. Catch them and some how it's you fault for putting out all that tempting stuff. Makes for a lively time though. That is where I get some of my lump, they are the only ones around carrying RO lump. Fairly cheap also, $3.99 for a 10lb bag.

I never thought to check their beer section thanks for the heads up.

Prost
  • deepsouth
    Options
    they have a fantastic beer selection. they also have stuff in the back of the store if you only see a couple bottles of something you want more of.

i'll recommend some stuff to look for (breweries)......

bear republic
    mikkeller
    troegs
    chimay
    duvel
    flying dog (the gonzo imperial porter)
    meantime

that's a good start.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Thanks

I'm still about 3 steps from making up to novice, when it comes to beer. I am enjoying the steps though.

I use to think of beer in the terms of "Bud" and "Miller" :pinch: now rather than quantity, I find myself looking for quailty.

So much to learn and so little time. :lol:
  • deepsouth
    Options
    i was pretty big into craft beer when i lived in memphis (mid 90's), but lost it when i moved back to mississippi as we have no selection and archaic laws.

one of my buddies (barefootbrewer on BA) got me back into it last year and i got pretty serious about it in august/september....

another recommendation......

garrett oliver (brewmaster of brooklyn brewery) wrote a book called the brewmasters table. i just bought it and i'm only three chapters in, but it's an awesome book about food AND beer and pairing the two. i've learned a ton from it already and i think it would be good even for (as you say) a pre-novice.

i'm thoroughly enjoying it!
  • deepsouth
    Options
    mike.....

can you link me to your profile so i can add you to my buddy list?

i've been unable to find you using the user search.

cheers
    jason
  • deepsouth
    Options
    i gotcha! no spaces.