Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new owner-first post

Options
CraigHead
CraigHead Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My GF and I bought our first egg yesterday. Picked up a large egg, long cypress table and some eggcessories. The local butcher shop had filets on sale so we broke in the grill the right way. However, when I was removing the steaks from the grill, the upper gasket came loose and got scorched and must be replaced already. Is this a common problem, or am I just lucky?

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Oh boy, here we go again. :blink:

Yeah, it seems to be a problem as of late...
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    First, welcome to the club...er'..Cult!

When you say filets, I assume you mean Beef Filet...so I assume you went pretty high with the heat on that?

Might want to keep things a little lower for your first 10-20 cooks. I had no problem with mine - although I hae since cooked my gasket, but it was my fault - going nuclear (900+) with a pizza stone at felt level.
  • CraigHead
    Options
    yeah, filet mignon at almost 700 degrees.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    It seems to happen more so to eggs which don't seal properly. May be an alignment issue? Contact your dealer and get his/her input and then let the gasket cure for a few cooks. After 3-5 cooks, recheck the alignment. You can do this by closing the lid on a dollar bill. Try pulling it out and you should feel some resistance. If not the loosen the bolts holding the dome and try to slide the band up while pushing the dome down. Re tighten and recheck. May have to loosen the bottom band and slide the lower band down.

This and maintaining temps appear to be the major issues for newer users. Welcome to a great way of cooking and I look forward to your posts. BTW, we love photos.

Porkloin002.jpg
  • BHE1
    BHE1 Posts: 205
    Options
    Welcome to the egger club. I just bought my first large a few weeks ago and love it. I am already considering getting another large. I'm going to wait till the end of the season to see if I can get a better price on the second egg.

Sorry to hear about your gasket, hopefully, the dealer will replace it for free.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Welcome - same thing happened to me on my first cook. Well not exactly - mine was ribeyes. Mike gave good advice. Takes a little while to get used to controlling temps - you'll be an eggspert in no time.

Don't hesitate to ask questions - lots of good eggers here that have good advice.

Pics are nice - no, Pics rule

101_1853640x480.jpg

101_1559800x600.jpg
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Frank - you got a recipe for those Oysters? Looks like Drago's style?
  • Wanabe
    Wanabe Posts: 355
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, the members on this site are the best around. They are willing to help at every turn.

IMHO the gasket issue is really an adhesive issue. I had the same thing happen to me on my second cook. I checked the gasket fit before each cook and I kept the temps down. My gasket got loose and was sliding around but I didn’t burn it. I called the manufacture they recommended re-gluing with 3M77. I did that and cooked again today and all seems well so far. The adhesive BGE uses may cure with time I hope.

Good luck to you and Happy Egging.
  • Jazzman
    Jazzman Posts: 62
    Options
    I also burned up a gasket my first week (just 2 weeks ago). I replaced my gasket with an old style felt one, used the 3M77 adhesive along with the adhesive already on the felt, and did several low-mid temp cooks. No problems (at least for now!)
  • Frank from Houma
    Options