Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st chicken on egg: spatchcock or beer can?

Options
Jazzman
Jazzman Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my large BGE about 2 weeks. I've cooked ribs (twice) steaks, burgers, pizza and prime rib roast (last night.....wow!) Ready for my first chicken. I'm not sure if I should spatchcock or beer can the chicken. Are there inherent differences in the result? Do spatchcock chickens usually get crispier skin? Is beer can chicken more moist? Is it just preference? I've had the chicken "drying out" in the fridge for a day to get a nice crispy skin. I have one of those chicken roaster things where you can put beer, wine, apple juice, etc. into the built-in "can". Advise away, oh wise eggers.

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    how about both
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Either way is great but spatchcock is quicker with less cleanup. You'll eventualloy do both so pick one and have at it!! 8 - )
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    I like a crispy skin and I think it's easier to get it with spatchcock. You can cook direct and flip it skin side down until it's as crispy as you want it. I do think the the beer can is a little juicier so take your pick. You'll love both methods!
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    IMO beer can bird is a little moister but not worth the differance in cleanup. Last 10 or 15 birds have been spatchocked. Like others have said you will do both eventually so toss a coin and do one. Eather way if you cook to 165-170 breast temp you'll have a winner! ;)
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Ditto this one. Since I got the BGE and found out about spatchcock...no more beer can chicken. Even when I do several breast (with bone & skin) i pull at 165 deg and have always been pleased.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i'm a spatchcock fan. either way, the chicken will be very moist. aim for 155/160 in the breast

go 400 or so dome, and maybe rub a little olive oil or butter under and on the skin, with herbs mixed in, salt, pepper, etc. That will help crisp things up

i don't think the beer can does anything other than stand the bird up. the beer never really makes any steam, so i don't know how it would make it any more moist. the cavity of the chicken has a membrane in it that keeps any moisture from entering the meat, and the top of the can is the the neck, venting out.

try both, but i predict you'll become a spatchcock fan.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    didn't mean to step on your post.
    J
  • Jazzman
    Jazzman Posts: 62
    Options
    OK - spatchcock it is. I'll post results tomorrow!
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    its all good
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • stike
    Options
    well, i read your post and didn't want you to think i was 'correcting' you. thanks for the get-out-of-jail

:)