Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Many Butts on the Adjustable Rig?

Options
Super Glide
Super Glide Posts: 76
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,

I was wondering how many Butts I can get on a large BGE with the adjustable rig set up with the grid extender and a spider.

My gut says 5. 2 on the lowest grate, 2 on a mid level grate and one on a grate with the grid extender.

Has anyone done this?

Can I get 2 on the top grate?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    I haven't tried it but my guess would be 6. It would also depend on the size/height/tallness(?) of the butts. I bet TJV could give you a definitive answer.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,839
    Options
    ive done three levels with brisket and butts, it poses some airflow problems. i think 5 with 3 being squished onto the second level would work better and it would be easier to use boneless
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I have done 4 with two levels, boneless no problem.
    I love the rig.
    Good luck Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    look at the thread a little further down called 'you forum people R awesome" celtic posted a few pics of 40 plus lbs on a large.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I've done 4 at a time, and I'm sure I could have fit another 2 on.
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Options
    I just did 4 the other day and put them all on one grill. It was a bit tight to start the cook but in a couple hours all was good.

Rick
  • hawkegg
    hawkegg Posts: 97
    Options
    I have done 3 on top and 2 on the bottom. They were bone in. Tight fit. I don't know if I could have fit another one.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    As slotmercenary and Fidel pointed out I have done 6 on the adjustable rig.

18 total in three large eggs.

However, I would not recommend it without the aid of a BBQ Guru or Stoker. Keeping that mass of meat cooking takes a lot of effort that is compensated for by these devices.

In other words without them you aren't getting any sleep.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,839
    Options
    yep, no sleep, making adjustments every half hour thru the night. you start with holding 200 degrees all vents wide open and closing them as the meat shrinks and you burn about twice as much lump
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EggEd
    EggEd Posts: 88
    Options
    Just wondering what the rest of the set-up looked like? I would assume (guess) the adjustable rig is sitting on the fire ring and a spider ring with a drip pan below that? I would presume that would allow for a little less room for lump but still enough to get through the cook.

I have done a few five butt cooks and would not mind investing in some http://www.eggaccessories.com/ stuff for extra space once I know about the rest of your set-up.

My normal large green egg five butt set-up is lump to top of fire ring, drip pan on platesetter legs up, and 3 butts bottom / 2 butts top on homemade two tier grill

(lag bolts separating two grills...although I have also just rested the second grill on top of the three butts without much difference)

I normally have more than enough lump leftover. So...I am wondering if my guess(es) above are correct. Also, as the temp is higher closer to the dome do you find the top butts get to final temp a little faster than the bottom?

Sorry for the long winded post but that set-up really looks worth the investment!!

Regards
    Ed