Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Question

Options
Klag
Klag Posts: 208
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a medium Egg, that hasn't had a gasket in 5 years. I hate gaskets, had a bad experience with one as a child.

My Egg has no problem holding a temp of 250. However, it does have a problem holding that temp for more then 10-12 hours, even with firebox filled to the top with quality lump. Might be gasket related, might be a magic Egg. I donno..

So, here's my question. Can I cook a large butt and just keep the oven warmed to 250 and keep the butt there for 30 minutes while I refill on lump? I've read the Naked Whiz and know your supposed to open the top as little as possible... so what effect would it have removing and storing in the oven for 30 min or so?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks!!

Comments

• Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    yeah what he said!
    it must be the gasket because i have done 20 plus hour cooks on my medium with no problem.
    if you are going to have the oven on why not just finish it there ?
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I have a medium and have done numerous 16 to 18 hour cooks. I fill the lump to near the top of the fire ring before starting. I have also run out of lump and finished in the oven with successful results.

Seems like there is always some adjustments needed during long cooks. Temps will remain steady for 6 hours or so then either climb or fall. I use a wiggle rod up through the grate and re-establish desired cooking temps.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    after 10 to 12 hours you can just finish it in the oven if you want to. if you made it that far there are only a few things that could be going wrong if there is still plenty of lump. center burn which can be fixed by pushing the lump that didnt burn towards the center of the firebox about 8 hours in, and ash build up which can be remedied with a wiggle rod during the night, i check on both those things in the middle of the night if i see temps falling. also i set high and low alarms pretty loosly, low around 195, high at 285 and just set up at 235 grate or 250 dome and let it ride.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Klag
    Klag Posts: 208
    Options
    Great info, thanks to everyone!