Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Egg Purchase

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking to purchase a Large Egg and was wondering besides the nest and egg mates what other accessories an exprienced user would recommend having.

For smoking is the dual function metal top a good idea?

I am good at grilling but a rookie at smoking.

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• FearlessGrill
    Options
    Hokie,

There have been a few good threads on this recently. I didn't save the links, but someone may have them...

In my opinion, there are a few must haves. First, you will want the plate setter, or some other rig that allows you to block direct heat, such as the spider setup from www.eggaccessories.com. This is a must for many recipes, where you want to cook something for a long time at low temps without burning the meat. I use an indirect setup for chickens, ribs, beef roasts, etc.

Second, you will need a decent meat thermometer. While I haven't gotten one yet, most people here recommend the Thermopen. It's a bit pricy, but has a great warranty and provides very quick and accurate readouts. As soon as my cheap one dies, I'm upgrading to one of these.

Another group of accessories if you plan to cook for large groups is multi-tier grids. There are a number of ways to go about this, but the idea is to stack food on multiple grids, cooking indirect, to prepare more at once. I'd put a vertical rib rack in this category as well, as this allows you to cook many more ribs at once than if they were laid flat.

Another popular accessory is the pizza stone. If you're interested in making bread or pizza in the egg, this is a must have. Most people here rely on the BGE brand stone, and have had bad experiences with others. I have a BGE stone, and am quite happy with it.

Finally, you'll want to determine how you will light your Egg. You can do this with paper and matches, but others use a variety of tools, including MAPP torches, electric starters, etc. These all work - your choice.

Enjoy your new Egg!

-John
  • Essex County
    Options
    Yes, it's useful for smoking and also for just about any other kind of cooking. I thought all eggs now come with the dual function metal top as part of the basic package.

As mentioned below, a platesetter is helpful to do indirect cooking.

By any chance, are you a Virginia Tech hokie??

Paul
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Where did I see this before?? :huh: :laugh:
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Good post...and thanks I was looking that link.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Welcome!
    Where are you from?
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    An ash tool is useful to remove the ashes.

eenie meenie
  • Eggscaper
    Eggscaper Posts: 213
    Options
    A cover, ash tool, grate lifter, plate setter and BIGGER PANTS.
    Good luck and welcome to the family.Don't know where you are from but if you can make it to eggtoberfest it would be great.

Doug
    Dallas,Ga.