Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Turkey??

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been asked to whip up some barbecue for an upcoming "professional day." Of the 90 to 100 folks, there are a dozen or so who don't eat red (or for that matter, white) meat, but they do eat poultry. I'm thinking "pulled turkey" to go beside the pulled pork... Anybody ever made pulled turkey? Any and all help will be gratefully accepted.

Comments

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    dont think it will pull, just dry out.
    smoke the turkey
    [/b]
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Why not cook it as you normally would, then dice, chop or shred the meat? I used to do this with chicken breasts. I'm not sure it will "pull" as pork or beef does. Use that gift God gave you and create some type of broth sauce because once chopped the meat sill soak it right up. I think it could be great. I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • BlueSmoke
    Options
    Wardster,
    Thanks for the compliment. At the moment at least, I'm thinking I'll brine and smoke a couple of breasts, then pull the meat off the bone and shred it. I was thinking of just using Big Chief sauce on it, but thanks to your suggestion and now contemplating a new "for the birds" sauce.
    Ken

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    jwitheld,
    That's what I was afraid of, and why I asked. Thinking I'll brine and smoke a couple of breasts and shred the meat.
    Ken

• Mike in MN
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    I just did a couple of nice bone in turkey breasts for a confirmation (For those who might not like pulled pork)
    I soaked them in brine for 24 hrs, and then seasoned them with Garlic Pepper and Lawry Salt. They were cooked over a drip pan that contained wine, onions, fresh garlic, bay leaves, and fresh basil leaves. When everything came off the egg, I collected the "drippings" and cooked them a bit more in a saucepan with a little added wine, and used my "motorboat" (hand grinder) to further reduce this sauce. The sauce was smokey sweet. [p]I sliced the breasts, and poured the sauce over the turkey ....it worked![p]Mike in MN

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    Mike in MN,
    Thanks. I'll give it a try.[p]Ken