Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Curing" The Green Glazed Oaxaca Pots

Options
Beli
Beli Posts: 10,751
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The pots before being used for the first time need to be "cured" here normally we use water & detergent & boil for 1 hr.

DSCN0555.jpg

DSCN0560.jpg

DSCN0563.jpg

Cooling down
DSCN0565.jpg

Finish & ready for today's first black mole cook
DSCN0556.jpg

Comments

• guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    Options
    Beautiful (in many ways!)

__Jason
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i really like that outside grill you got, theres a product i would buy from bge if they made them, i like open pit cooking from time to time.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    If you keep this up I am going to cancel my trip and head to Mexico. We have been looking for colorful Mexican pots here with no luck.

Looks great.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Que Hermosa! May be going on a cruise to veracruz and cancun soon. Can these green goddesses be bought off the street or are they special order from Oaxaca?
  • Beli
    Options
    Green Pottery you find basically in Oaxaca it's a Oaxaca'n specialty since the green cantera colour with which most of the prehispanic & colonial buildings are built is found around the city. They call Oaxaca the Jade jewel, for that reason. This were made specially according to my shape & size specs, to fit my large. You can buy smaller green pots from the street in Oaxaca, but mostly generic stuff. You might be lucky to find it in Veracruz or Cancun....Are you going to Eggtoberfest, let;s talk about it there and see what I can do.
  • Beli
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Let me know if you come on this direction ok?
  • Beli
    Options
    I must fire it up soon....since I got the egg I've become a bit "flojo" lazy.......since the big munster requires more attention when cooking.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Planning on being there Wed or Thur. We are staying at my friends sisters house in Lawrenceville. About 15 minutes from the party. Look forward to visiting.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
  • tomo
    tomo Posts: 78
    Options
    I have always been leery of buying pottery when we visit Mexico. I am worried about lead in the glaze. Can you make a comment on this?....tom
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    awesome pics once again. beautiful pottery. i'm jealous. i need to get down to mexico as i've never been there.

prost.
  • Beli
    Options
    Absolutely Tom,
    Most glaze products used in ceramics are formulated in Monterrey, inspected by the food authority and sent to the rest of the contry.
    Most glazes for ceramic products contain lead but are safe because they have
    been properly formulated and fired to prevent the release of toxic amounts
    of metal into foods. However, some pottery, especially earthenware made by
    individuals and in small cottage industries abroad, have not been treated
    properly. In these pieces, acid substances may interact chemically with the glaze and accelerate the lead release. Therefore, acidic foods (such as
    orange, tomato and other fruit juices, tomato sauces, wines, and vinegar)
    STORED in improperly glazed containers are potentially the most dangerous.
    The acidic nature of some substances could eventually erode the glaze. I would't STORE any acidic foods in any container appart from glass. Fire purifies and when COOKING it is a health agent in preventing contamination.
    I would be curious though, to find out just how much lead there is "floating" in the air of our modern contaminated cities, and do something about it.
  • Beli
    Options
    Com'on Jason you are not that far away are you??? Already "deepsouth" :laugh:
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I thought I had posted earlier but I can't find it. Beli, Those turned out beautiful brother. I'm looking forward to seeing you future posts using those pots. MUY BUENO!!
  • Beli
    Options
    Gracias mi amigo. Saludos!!!
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Options
    Beli,

Why do you have to cure the pottery after it's been fired and before use?
  • Beli
    Options
    Just to get rid of any superficial residues, that might have accumulated during the process and get them really clean!!! As in many manufacturing processes I suppose.
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    wow those pots are beautiful!! hope what ever come out of it taste as good as what the pots look!!