Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trouble getting 200 - 250 degrees

Options
ThighMaster
ThighMaster Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got an XL and love ribs, but have had a very hard time getting (and keeping) between 200 and 250 degrees. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've got the top and bottom vents practically closed (about 1/4 inch gap on bottom and roughly 1/8 on the top) and I just can't get it below 300. Should I close these even more? Do I need to use less lump? Should I approach the temp from above or below? Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    I have a large, so it may be apples and oranges, but I think a 1/4 inch on the bottom vent is too wide. For 250 I have the bottom open only the width of a credit card, and the holes on the daisy wheel about 1/3 open. Approach temps from below, once an egg gets above the desired temp it takes a long time to cool down.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Your bottom vent is far too open. Think, just barely wide enough to slide a dime through the slot, and you'll be getting close.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    No XL experience here. As stated above those settings will put me at 250°-275° dome & steady.

On the large going down to 200° can be a bit tough to hold. I can do it with a DigiQ2 or Stoker.

I have held 225° without either controler but I kept an eye on it.

On the XL you have a huge fire grid I am not sure how that affects the low side of cooking.

You will have some XL users jump in.

GG