Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quasadillas(sp?) on large egg

Options
Steve-O
Steve-O Posts: 302
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to try doing some quasadillas on our large egg tonight and recall reading someones post in the past about doing these. Would like to know temps and times. I am guessing that they should be done like a pizza on a plate setter and pizza stone, but not nearly as hot. Any recommendations very welcomed. Thanks!!

Comments

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Steve-O,[p]I have done these indirect setup with a round cast iron pizza pan on top of a platesetter. I believe the CI pan is by Lodge, but I'm not 100% on that, I do know they are available at WalMart locally. I like 350 degrees for the temp so the tortilla doesn't burn while the center is coming up to temp. As far as time, you will have to monitor it and take it off when it browns and the cheese is melting if you use cheese. [p]I like to use ten inch tortillas and brush them with some melted butter/oleo on one side. Put your toppings on half of the un-buttered side and then fold it over. Don't get carried away with the cheese because it will blow out and make a real mess, besides that melted cheese doesn't sling off nor does it cool fast when you get it on your hand/fingers. The idea is to have the center hot about the time the outsides are getting nice and brown. To accomplish this, put what looks like only about half as much toppings as you would want in the Q'dillas. Using the folded up method as opposed to the stacking method for the tortillas will keep blowout to a min. [p]Place the folded Q'dillas on the hot griddle and allow to brown lightly/blister on one side and then flip. Take off when the other side is like the first and the filling is good and hot/cheese melting. Not over filling is key so you don't have burned outside/cold inside Q'dillas.[p]I personally like a blend of Pepper Jack, Asadero, Queso, and some Munster cheeses. As far as the meat, I usually cook way more fajita meats (skirt steak and chicken) and veggies (peppers, onions, squash, p-b mushrooms) when I cook 'em. I chop all the leftovers and place in the freezer on a cookie sheet spread out. When frozen I place it in a bag so I can get how ever much I need out for a couple of Q`dillas. This really rocks as far a filling. I serve with the standards, like salsa, sour cream, peppers, ect...[p]I really hate to say this but a skillet or griddle on a stove is much better suited for this job. Opening and closing the egg to put them on and take them off give plenty of chances for the fire to really get away from you.[p]I hope this helps[p]Ashley
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Zip,
    Thanks, Ashley, for the information. I figured that it might be easier on the stove, but I want to give this a try on the egg. We have all but abandoned our stove since getting our first egg in June.
    Steve

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Steve-O,[p]Hell, give it a shot. If you dont have some CI that will fit in the egg, use a foil covered pizza stone indirect. You just don't want that grease and melted cheese on a pizza stone. At least I wouldn't......[p]Ashley
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Steve-O,[p]I do a lot of quesadillas on the egg. Like you stated I use a plate setter and pizza stone. I cook it very much like pizza and at almost the same temp. Like pizza as the stones get hotter the quesadillas will cook faster. It only takes a few minutes to crisp up the tortilla a little and melt the cheese. I put cheese, tomatoes, green chiles, black olives, green onions, sometimes some grilled chicken and whatever else hits me at the time. I think you get a little of the "brick oven" flavor when doing them on the egg.[p]By the way refried beans, doctored up of course, go really well with quesadillas. Good luck.[p]Chuck <><

• Seattle Todd
    Options
    Steve-O,[p]I do quesadillas quite often. I actually do it direct as I think it gets more flavor and sure looks more attractive with the grill marks unless you burn 'em.[p]I cook them direct on the grill at ~400 degrees. If they're smaller tortillas (sometimes packaged as fajita tortillas) I usually can flip them directly on there after the first side is done in a couple minutes without them falling apart.[p]Barring that try the following:[p]Make the quesadillas on a plate, being sure to spray or very lightly brush both side with olive oil before adding the ingredients.[p]Using a spatula or your fingers slide the quesadilla onto the grill. Peek after one minute and check often if it's not quite done. When it's ready to flip gently slide it with a spatula onto a plate and take it off the Egg. Next place a plate over the other plate covering the quesadilla. Then all you have to do is flip it quickly, removing the top (formely the bottom) plate and slide it back on.[p]By the time the first side is done I always find that the cheese is sufficiently melted to allow you to move the quesadilla onto the first plate without it exploding as long as you don't go nuts with the toppings.[p]I'd suggest you try this at least once as I think it really does pick up more grilled flavor than you could get indirectly.