Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Challenged in getting BGE *hot*

Options
jpwilkin
jpwilkin Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm pretty new to the BGE. Got a large a couple of weeks ago and have had a blast. I'm a regular (weekly) pizza cooker and was able to give that a shot this last Friday. Beautiful! See http://scholarlypublishing.org/jpwilkin/archives/15 for a description and a couple of pictures. Here's the thing, though. I've been able to get it up to 650deg without too much trouble, but never more than that. I'd love to hit 700deg. I open the top (no daisy wheel) and leave the vent wide open. I put in a modest amount of lump (above the air holes, but not much more than that). Some strategies I've considered:[ol][li]use more lump
[li]light it in several places
[li]use a chimney
[li]try another charcoal (e.g., Cowboy?)
[/ol]I'd love some guidance on this.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    More lump will get you there, but really no need to go much higher for good pizza.

What is it you are trying to accomplish with more heat?
  • jpwilkin
    Options
    Thanks, Rod. I understand the big pizza ovens typically run at about 1000deg. I'm interested in experimenting a bit on this, seeing what I can do at a higher temp. I also had a problem sustaining the heat and think that my lump was going fast by the time I got the pizza on.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Like Fidel said, more fuel, but I agree, I do pizzas at 450. -RP
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Careful not to get the temp too high for the pizza or you will be using the pizza dough money for new gaskets.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    If you're going to go nuclear, use lots of lump.

Light at the bottom of the lump, and let 'er rip. Kiss your gaskets boodbye [mine gone long ago -- don't miss'em].

But the big-time Pizza-Guys who cook at 1000F are doing so as much for time and quick turnover for multiple customers as anything. Like RRP, I seldom go higher than 450 -- 500F these days... actually, try to keep it under 350+F.

Other may quickly correct me, but I think the only difference you're going to notice with piza cooking for 400F or 1000F is cook time. And, of course, savings in fuel, speed at which you burn out your firebox, firering...!

Enjoy --

~ B
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    All good advice JP.

You sure can get the egg hotter. More lump and some different lighting techniques.

You need to think if you want to handle 1000° or higher temperatures.

GG
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    plenty of lump and some time, and take the daisy OFF, not simply open.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BoneDaddy's
    Options
    I do pizza at 700 and y fgasket is fried, but o-well. I will give a little fan or a few good blows (carefully) into the bottom vent and that will move the needle a hundred degrees in 15 seconds.
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    Options
    Pizza cooking temps are very dependant on the dough your using. It's true that shops go with high temps to cook more pies, but the higher temps give your crust 'oven spring', which is the puffyness you get on the rim of your crust. And the doughs used for those high temp ovens, is usually void of oils, sugars & other additives. Now, it doesn't have to be 1000*f, but 600*-750* is good starting point, if that's what your looking for. If you cook at lower temps, you have the ability to use sugar(s), olive oil, powdered milk, etc to get different textures, colors, etc. The powdered milk gives you a beautiful brown crust, like Pizza Hut's pan pizza's, hint, hint. If you are buying dough or using a mix, whatever works for you is the best technique to use.

The other thing to consider is cooking at high temps goes very quickly. Cooking at 800-1000* only takes about 90 seconds to cook a pie, and that includes turning! It would be tough to move that fast and have to open & close the lid of your egg. That being said, I normally cook my pies with the bottom vent wide open, no daisy wheel, and I keep a close eye on the pizza thru the top vent with my temps between 600 & 650. That's for a thin New York style crust with just a touch of olive oil in the dough. I drop the temps when I make my spinach & feta in a cast iron skillet. I normally use my Jenn Air gas grill for that at 475-500*, and add a little extra olive oil and some powdered milk for a nice brown crust.