Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Cabbage on the BGE

Options
bubba tim
bubba tim Posts: 3,216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Always wanting to do something different, decided to BBQ some cabbage after reading about a recipe by Steve Raichlen. It looked great in the book, had the egg all fired up, hey, why not.
th_P1150001.jpg

The finished BBQ cabbage was not bad but would make some changes. When we do this again, we would cut into quarters, brush on the bacon drippings, would not add the butter, then hold off on the BBQ sauce until the last 10 minutes of the cook. At plating is when I would add the Carrmelized onions and bacon. This would also make it easier to serve instead of trying to cut a hot ball of cabbage.
Hope you like it.
SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP

Comments

• bubba tim
    Options
    I forgot, click on the picture for the slide show.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    that looks great i have yet to start experimenting with egging cabbage... yours looks great

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• bubba tim
    Options
    It does not sound real sexy but it realy is mighty tasty. Anything with bacon is always great! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    That looks pretty tastey. i have done them with leftover brisket and mango peach salsa and they came out pretty good.
    DSC_9775.jpg
    top with the fresh salsa
    DSC_9776.jpg
    then on to the egg at 350 indirest for 1-2 hours
    DSC_9797.jpg
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I've got the book and keep meaning to try it. We saute bacon and cabbage as a side on our New Years Day meal. Thanks for what I'd do next time tips.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i have been wanting to try this one:::

Cabbage, Stuffed, YB

1 Large head of cabbage
    1/2 apple, chopped
    1/2 Vidalia onion, chopped
    3/4 lb of your favorite ground sausage
    4 oz sliced mushrooms, chopped
    1 tsp fresh Basil
    1 tsp fresh Rosemary
    salt & pepper to taste

1 Core cabbage, making a hole about the size of your fist. Brown sausage with other ingredients. Stuff cabbage with sausage mixture.
    2 Wrap cabbage in foil, leaving top open. Place on Egg - cook at 300 degrees for 1 hour. Place 2 pats of butter on top of sausage stuffing and close foil, completely covering cabbage. Cook for another 2 hours. Remove cabbage from foil, quarter & serve.
    3 What a treat! Our sides included fried squash and baked red potatoes with cheese & garlic topping.
    4 Larry

Recipe Type
    Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, YB, 06/02/02

but so little time :(

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• bubba tim
    Options
    That realy looks good. How did you core so deep?
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Here is one we cooked that turned out pretty good.
    Larry
    dae7.jpg
    8e84.jpg
    8e84.jpg
    d6ed.jpg
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Sorry missed this one.
    d0d7.jpg
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Alright, it's cabbage this weekend. A main dish and side together as one.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • bubba tim
    Options
    what is the filling?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    You also forgot to post some how to's and what to put in's!!!

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I have been going to do this for a long time.

Went to the fridge, cabbage bad, sausage bad, gound beef bad.

Tossed it all. I see these great ideas, buy all the stuff and never get around to it.

GG
  • bubba tim
    Options
    Pretty simple, you put in a mixure of carmelized onions and bacon, with butter then top it off with your favorite bbq sauce. This is supposed to be a side, but based on some of the thread posting with [code]risket and brown snauages (sp) lol, this could very easy become a main dish. I like the concept of wrapping the out side with foil. It saves a few of the outer leaves. I just have a problem with cooking with foil. Very bad JuJu.