Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Polder type thermometers

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy yalls! Been lots going on, and almost zero computer time. I really miss the forum.

I am fixin' to order some more polder type therms. Been using the Taylor brand, but the last ones I ordered they changed the probe and 3 of the 4 have already died.

What kind of "polders" have you found to be the best designed and most dependable?? No need for remote. We just use them to monitor the grate temp in several places. Just the thermometer and probe is really all I need. Want to order 8 of them.

Any idears would be appreciated! Hope everyone is well.
Chris
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    been using the et73 for i believe about 4 years, the setup logic is horrible, the switch design is fragile, the range is lousy, but still it keeps chugging along and i havent changed batteries yet. once its setup it just works even though i hate the thing. its more than what your looking for
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I get whatever they have in the kitchen section at Target. -RP
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i gave up on those things. i thought the et73 would be what i wanted, but there is so much superfluous crap on there about meat types, with preset values for doneness, etc.

i just want a stupid thermo that shows the temp at the dome (or grate) with a hi/lo warning, and has a second probe for the meat (with hi/lo warnings too). wireless would be a bonus.

but no, they design the things for Joe Barbecue, with beef/lamb/chicken...etc. presets and voice warnings.

i go by time and trust for most of the cook, then jab it woth a thermapen near the end

someone call me when they simplify the things
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    Options
    the et73 doesnt have the meat temp presets, your thinking of another maverick. the et73 just gives the actual temps of whats going on with the high low alarms. was looking at temps and humidity in the garage this weekend, 70 degrees and a hummidity of about 75 right now, almost right for dry curing, are you still up to eating moldy sausage if it works out. i cant seem to find anything on how clean a dry curing room needs to be sterile wise
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    hmmm. i thought i took a look a while ago at the 73 and thought it had all the damn buttons on it that my original maverick did. maybe i need to look again.

i'm not afraid of moldy sausage. there's a paragraph in there about mold (good vs. bad). botulism is the thing to worry about, and the guys that wrote that book are fans of nitrites, which guards against botulism. so sure, i'm game.

linguica? chorico?
  • fishlessman
    Options
    im thinking of going with the chourico and soppressata, going to see what i can get for all the ingrediants this week and study up on it a little more. the room in the garage is insulated on two walls and its log cabin on the other two so it should be fairly stable temp wise, and its always on the wet side up there. probably work on the room next weekend, and get it ready to go for september.
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    i think air movement is important too... was considering trying curing them in the basement because it is ideal in terms of temp and humidity, but there's not a lot of air moving around to keep the surface relatively dry.

also, i work down here, and i don't want loops of sausage over my head like i'm in a deli. hahaha
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i have no idea. but if i were you and i am not. i would build a cube 8 feet on a side and cover all sides with plastic sheeting [especially the top and floor] put a tiny fan [like a computer fan on one side and a 3m filtrete filter on the other for air flow... i cannot think of another way to keep dust and mold spores off the meat..
    this is basically what i did [except for the fan and filter]to keep dust off a refinishing project i did in the garage where i had done all the sanding
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i dont believe dust will be a problem in that room, but the mold does concern me a little, am definatly going to have a small fan. i do want to try it just hanging like may have been done in old cellars before making it more involved which may be needed, i think i can try it a couple times before it gets too cold in there so if it doesnt work there is plan b. seems strange there isnt a forum for just dry curing sausages, there is some stuff out there on the web but i would have thought there would have been a forum just for dry curing
    fukahwee maine

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I got mine at Walmart, but the principle is the same. And they've lasted longer than my Polders, too. I don't see a brand, just a brick red case and a blackish stand. Around $12-14 each.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Dang!! Hard to believe you can post a question in the mornin and by night time, it's on page 2! This forum has grown like I can't even believe.

Much appreciate the advice. Bill, I am gonna go with your suggestion for the thermoworks version. They are a top notch company, and I didn't even know they had a basic polder therm. Thanks a bunch!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I didn't know either. It is hard to beat the price of the big box specials but those folks sure do know how to put out a quality product.....and they are not that much more expensive either.
  • Egg-on-Medford
    Options
    tested my thermometers today in boiling water.
    The Maverick 73 read 212 on the dot, two separate tests.
    Thermopen instant read 210-211

BGE dome thermo read 202ish--can this be recalibrated. Thing is, it looks right at room temp.

Better yet, any ideas for a digital dome temp--I haven't played with the grill probe on the Maverick, so I'm not sure of the difference (of course, it looks like I'll be adding 10 to what the BGE says). Could I use the Maverick probe thru the hole in the bge?