Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need help with wings

Options
Doug E Fresh
Doug E Fresh Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Being a new egg owner, I have not collected all my eggcessories yet (platesetter and ashtool coming on Tuesday). I would like to cook some wings tonight but all I have is the basic LBGE, no woo2, no indirect method, not even any firebricks yet. So faced with direct only and close to the fire box, how would you recommend cooking up a batch of wings?

Comments

• Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    I would cook as if you had a raised system. Just use a small amount of coals and control the heat with your bottom vent. Also, be sure to keep a very close eye on them and flip as needed. They'll come out fine.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    well since i read a bloddy mary post earlier and this is what i could find that would work with the basic set up (which was more difficult than it sounds) try this one::::

Wings, Chicken, Bloody Mary, Drbbq

That's what I'm cooking. Here's the concept. You put the celery salt based rub on the wings and grill them for a while. Then you put them in a pan with a V-8 based sauce with Bloody Mary flavors added and cook a while longer.To serve, you do a shot of vodka and chase it with a wing.I think I'm ready for Eggtoberfest! As cooked at EGGtoberfest 2006.

16 single joint chicken wings
    Bloody Mary Rub
    1 Tbs celery salt
    2 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp granulated garlic
    1 tsp brown sugar
    Bloody Mary Sauce
    1- 1/2 cup V-8 juice
    3 Tbs Worcestershire
    3 Tbs Tabasco Garlic Sauce
    juice of 1 lemon
    1 tsp salt
    prepared horseradish to taste (optional)
    Celery sticks
    Chilled Russian Vodka

Procedure
    1 In a small bowl mix the rub ingredients. Sprinkle over the chicken wings as needed, coating evenly.
    2 Prepare the cooker direct at 350°F using cherry wood for flavor.
    3 Grill the wings turning often for 30 minutes.
    4 Meanwhile, mix the sauce ingredients together and set aside.
    5 Put the vodka in the freezer.
    6 Transfer the wings to an aluminum foil pan large enough to fit the wings in a single layer. Pour the sauce over the wings and return to the cooker.
    7 Cook for another 30 minutes turning the wings after 15 minutes to coat. If the pan goes dry, add a small amount of beer to keep it from burning.
    8 Remove the wings to a plate, and drizzle with the sauce if there is any left.
    9 Serve with celery sticks and shots of ice cold vodka.

Servings: 4

Recipe Type
    Appetizer

Recipe Source
    Author: drbbq (Ray Lampe)

Source: BGE Eggtoberfest '06, Drbbq, 10/21/06

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    This wasn't the exact picture I was looking for but you'll get the idea. 3 1/2" or 4" bolts with some nuts and washers you can get your grid to the gasket level.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=278365&catid=1
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    some of the best wings i have ever cooked (limeted experience however) were cooked direct at 250 dome temp for about two and a half to three hours. i didn't use a lot of lump so as to try to reduce the amount of flame-ups. i cooked them on the egg eggactly as it came to me, no raised grid or anything. when i had a small flare up, i tossed a splash of beer on it. (i know this is a no-no, but it was before i was on the forum and knew no better.)

i wouldn't let not having a plate setter keep you from cooking wings.
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    All those toys are fun, especially for the engineer types, but there's a lot of us that use the egg as it comes and cook some pretty good food.

Just don't open the vents too much, to keep the temp down, until the wings are pretty well cooked. Then open the vents a little to crisp them up if you need to.

I like cooking them indirect sometimes too but there's no need to hold off on your cooking.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Doug E Fresh
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. I ended up cooking 250-300 (still fine tuning my temp control), for 40 minutes, turning and basting every 10. The wings came out fine, but my sauce needs work :S . I also remembered I had downloaded the "Wise one's Big Green Egg recipe book" from the naked wiz, also a great resource.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/cookbooks.htm