Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

T- Rex Question

Iowa State Egger
Iowa State Egger Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Alright, I know I might be a little slow - but I am planning on doing a nice T-bone tonight for dinner. I see a lot of postings about "T-Rexing" them, and I am not sure what this means.

Can someone help me out? I assume it has to do with the spices?

Comments

• mattm
    mattm Posts: 56
    I believe the directions are on nakedwhiz.com

You will love it!!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Nope it is not the spices.....you sear at a high temp, say 600 degrees for 90 seconds to 3 minutes per side...depending on your level of doneness...then take the steaks off & foil...lower the temps on the BGE to 400 and cook for another 2-3 minutes per side...

go to

www.nakedwhiz.com

for that and other valuable info...
  • Thanks for your help, when I have a little more time I will search the website for more instruction.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    the steak has to be a minimum of 1.25 inches thick for the trex. for a tbone i would salt it, sear it to looks, not time at 750/800, then put it on a plate to rest a minimum of 20 minutes (30 to 40 minutes is even ok) while you bring the egg down to about 350 degrees dome (trex recommends 400 but with the bone in a tbone steak i get better results at 350 degrees). during the rest on the plate i add a light rub or some pepper. when the dome hits 350 i cook it to the doneness i like, about 125 internal for a tbone for medrare towards rare. trex is a method, sear/rest/roast/rest before cutting

100_1063.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Klag
    Klag Posts: 208
    Yea, spices don't matter. In fact, the first time you try this method - use the same spices you normally cook with.

Then expirement with new spices :)

If you haven't fully searched and read through the Naked Whiz website linked above - you should. Lots of great reading and pictures.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    I much prefer triceratopping them...

~ B

:silly: :silly: :silly: