Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

foil a brisket wet or dry

Options
traif boy
traif boy Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i am a newbie and have not had much luck on cooking a brisket. When I foil it at 160, bring it to 190 and put it in a ice chest (no ice) and put towels on it. Will the longer I let it rest (2-3 hours) create a juicer brisket or dry it out? Or make no difference. would love the help of why my briskets our dry. Using a whole brisket not just a flat. Using dome temps at 225.

thanks

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Foil at 165 (or after it breaks the plateau) if you are going to foil.

Putting a brisket in a cooler won't dry it out. However, that 190 might not be completely cooked. Try bringing it up to 195-200.

You didn't say whether you are cooking flats or whole briskets. The latter are better. How big are your briskets?
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    This was my first attempt on the BGE. Did a 12 lb packer (about 10.5 lbs after trimming the fat...)

IMG_0828.jpg

Finishing temp:
    IMG_0825.jpg

Foiled it DRY:
    IMG_0830.jpg

Let it hang out in the cooler in the foil for about an hour. Here's what I got:
    IMG_0834.jpg
    IMG_0836.jpg
    IMG_0838.jpg

I didn't foil it until it was up to temp...you've got me curious now. May have to try another one this weekend.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I think dryness is the same as underdoneness (if that is a word). If it is dry it is likely that the collagen has not completely broken down, & it will only break down (& become juicy) at the proper temperature, which I agree is closer to 195-200, & also remember to take temp readings in different places in your brisket, if you are getting a measurement of 190, the tip of the probe could be in a vein of fat which will read higher than meat, so moving it around you will get a better idea of your temp.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • GatorEgg
    GatorEgg Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm doing a 8lb brisket (the flat)tomorrow. Here's I cook it.

Cook @ 225-250 degrees
    figure about 1 1/2 hrs per lb.
    with about 2 hrs left remove the meat and wrap it in cellophane (yes clear plastic wrap, it won't melt) and two layers on heavy duty foil. cook it like that until internal temp is 195+- degrees. I poke the thermometer thru the foil.

I used to have dry briskets until a chef clued me on to how he prepares them. I haven't had a dry one since.