Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tried qfan's cider brine on ribs

Options
char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Over the weekend I tried BBQFan's cider brine on a couple of baby backs.[p]Very tasty. will try them again.[p]Here's the brine recipe re-posted.[p][p]-4 cups apple juice or cider
(0r maybe 3 cups apple juice/cider, 1 cup white grape juice)
- 1/4 cup coarse or kosher salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion quartered
Boil for 10 minutes to dissolve salt and sugar and get flavours out of onion and garlic, then cool and refrigerate to 40°F.[p]This is enough for two racks.[p]I used real apple cider, then I cooked them at 225º with a number two smoke ring and a litle cherry smoke. I covered the ribs in mustard and rub I got from Bobbie McWright when we met at the New Holland, PA competition. (MCWright runs Music City Catering out of Nashville). [p]I took the internal temp up to 200º just to see if the brine would keep them moist and tender even at that final temp. [p]The results were terrific. A nice, tart apple tang to go along with McWright's bright and spicy rub.[p]I'll have to try this one again. [p]CB[p]

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    char buddy,
    Took me a second to place that recipe, but if I'm not mistaken that was a top-of-the-head recommendation to someone who'd tried brining ribs and found no flavour enhancement. The idea of replacing water with cider/juice sounds like it did add another overall element of flavour; I'm gonna have to try this myself!
    Thanks for the report,
    Qfan