Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Inverted Plate Setter

Options
CR
CR Posts: 175
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am confused again. Reading some recent posts I have learned that the temp indide the egg can vary up to 80 degrees between the dome and grill when cooking, with the dome being on the hotter side. If this is true then shouldnt I be trying to get whatever I'm cooking nearer to the dome when cooking? So why use the Plate Setter inverted? I seems to me that the way to use it would be to use the Plate Setter to raise the cooking level and put a drip pan and v-rack on top of it.[p]I guess that I'm just poking a little fun at all of us, we seem to sometimes get carried away with the methodology. But seriously, I'm beginning to find out that BBQ'ing is like accounting. My Advanced Accounting professor always told us to always remember that it is "an art not a science."[p]Hope you all have a great week-end.
CR

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    CR,
    I could be wrong, but I think when people use an inverted plate setter, they put another grate on the legs, so the height would be about the same.[p]~nikki

• nikkig,
    right on! All it is doing when inverted is being a heat deflector, thus providing a more uniform radiant heat source!

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    CR,[p]There are a few reasons I use my plate setter inverted:[p] o creates a space for a drip pan beneath the grate and above the fire.
    o creates a good pocket of air between the food and the thermal buffer
    o leaves some room in the dome for the food, without the food hitting the dome thermometer
    o keep the top of the plate setter clean, for pizza cooks (although there's a stone on the plate setter).[p]I guess #1 above is the most important reason.[p]--sdb

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    CR,[p]With no respect intended to your advanced accounting professor, accounting is all about facts --- which means that it is a science, not an art form. Those that think accounting is an art form most likely have been employed at some of the companies that have imploded over the past 12 months.[p]If you're still in school, you should ask for the tuition you paid for that class back. You're getting a raw deal.[p]Successful companies manage by fact, not manipulation![p]Puj
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Puj,
    I was thinking the professor my have actually worked at some of those companies seeing as how their accounting practies read like a work of fiction.

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Shelby,[p]"Worked" for them probably requires a loose interpretation. Hope you didn't get hit too bad this week by Isadore.[p]Puj