Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini temp contros

Options
cerama
cerama Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
just got a new mini. used it twice. when i finish cooking and shut it down it blows all the coals away. seem to run hot around 250 or so till most of the coals are gone. is this typical of a mini? the air control door seems to have quite a bit of play. any one have experienced this like me?
Marty

Comments

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    i think you can tighten the doors by gently hammering in the part that holds them in place.

i just bought a mini over the weekend, but haven't done this yet.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Marty,

The screen and lower damper door on both my mini and small are loose.

I don't understand the statement 'it blows all thecoals away'. Even with the loose bottom screen/door the mini will shut down and the lump will 'snuff' out.

GG
  • here are the answers from your post of the same question yesterday. we need more info i.e. answers to the questions posted in response to your ? anxious to help but need more info
    bill

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=489501&catid=1
  • Grillin Guy
    Options
    I fired up the mini (hamburgers) and the small (baked potatoes) last night and they were both at 400 degrees during their respective cooks. I shut them both down at the same time and was suprised to see that they both came down at almost the exact same rate even though the small cooked for an hour longer then the mini. I'm thinking you do have a leak somewhere.
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    My mini uses so little fuel that I really don't try to shut it down. Most of my cooks are 350 to 400 and last 60 to 120 minutes and use a handful of lump. The longest my mini has held a bed of coals is 4 hours. Plenty of time for what the mini is good at. I do my long cooks susch as brisket and butts on the large.
  • cerama
    cerama Posts: 5
    Options
    thanks for the help. i guess i jumped the gun on blows the coals away. just checked last nites cook and plenty of coals left. the tip on hammering lightly the frame that holds the screen and door makes sense. i will tighten up a bit.
    thanks again
    marty
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    do the dollar bill test and get back to us...
    and does your dfmt [metal top] fit down all the way.. i.e. the underside of the top rests on the top of the chimney and does not bind up on the sides???
    i had 3 problems, draft door , cockeyed bands and ill fit dmft.. took me a year to figure it out [to stupid to use the forum]. any questions click my handle send me an e-mail i may be able to explain better on the phone.. would hate for you to be as frustrated as i was ...
    bill aka mini moron