Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Ribs Fail but still a success!

Options
Single Action Egger
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi.

Just got my BGE set-up 4 nights ago. Cooked beer can chicken during the maiden voyage; the chicken tipped over so bought a can stand over the weekend. On Sunday, I grilled a sirloin. Found out the BGE grills quickly; even though well-done rather than preferred medium-rare, steak still very juicy. Very impressive.

Tonight (Monday) I picked-up a small package of pork ribs at the grocer that was half off due to expiration tomorrow. Decided to give it a shot. Cooked a couple of hours via indirect at 325-350 w/ a McCormick barbecue rub. I learned my lesson of NOT putting on barbecue sauce w/ an hour of cook time remaining. Very burnt crust… Also, learned that ribs aren’t a last minute thing…

BUT, it was a great evening. The kids stopped by and we ate peaches while the ribs were cooking, and listened to a Lord of the Rings book on tape. It was nice that I didn’t have to constantly get-up and check the temperature. Every 15 minutes I would ask the lad what the temperature was and he confirmed that it hadn’t changed.

It was really nice sitting on the patio. No excess smoke, no frustrated chef due to inconsistent temperature, and the kids were comfortable just hanging out with their dad. (I did peak their interest when I suggested future possibilities of cobbler, cookies and pizza).

The teenage daughter who once dabbled in vegetarianism said she would try any meat on the egg except for Veal (she can’t past the image of a cute calf…).

Although the rib’s exterior was over-cooked, and the interior under-cooked, I consider the evening a success. Sure beats everyone staring at the TV. Thank you Egg!

Comments