Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork

Options
WhackJob
WhackJob Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know ya'all are probably tired of answering this line of questioning but any help is most appreciated. I am a new egg owner (XL for 2 months) and want to do pulled pork with a shoulder this weekend.

I am planning on using dizzy dust as a rub. Here are my questions (some really stupid ones I'm sure)

1. Is 18 hours at 200ish about right?

2. Should I inject a marinade and if so what do you suggest?

3. How much attention do these "all nighters" require? Do I have to be up all night (could end up pretty drunk if the answer is yes)?

4. How many pounds of lump do you think?

Sorry for all the questions but I am a little nervous about this.

Thanks

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I'll try this one. XL owner huh. Right up my alley.

1. For a 9 LB butt you should go 18 hrs. I figure 2-2.5 hours per pound.
    Set the temp at 250 dome. Easier to maintain and works well with this cooker.

2. I don't marinade or inject. Just a good coat of Dizzy followed by a good slathering of yellow mustard.

3. If this is you first over nighter then I'd suggest setting your alarm clock for 3 hour intervals. Once you are use to the cooker then you can get a good night sleep.

4. I'd fill that sucker up to the top of the firebox. Should take a whole 8LB bag of Royal Oak to do this. (You can never have too much lump for a low and slow). Light it in three places and then add all your ceramics, close the dome open the lower vent and remove the daisy wheel. Don't put it back on till the temps reach 200. Start throttling the temp there, close the lower vent till its about 1" open. and the daisy closed with the petals half open. once you reach 250, then lower vent to 1/4" or slightly more closed.

This is getting a little long. So just read this.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm
  • Nardi513
    Nardi513 Posts: 66
    Options
    For pulled pork, you will want anywhere between 1.5 hours to 2 hours per pound. It may take less or more time depending on how the meat feels that day. Temp should be between 230 ad 250 dome and you want to pull it off when the meat is between 195 and 200. Here Celtic Wolf's link http://www.celticspiritbbq.com/pulledpork.html

I have not used marinade so I will let others chime in here.

Depending on the equipment you have, you may not need any attention. If you don't have anthing but a remote meat thermometer, it will depend on how stable you can get the egg, mine settles pretty well around 250 and doesn't require much attention at all. If you have the Maverick ET-73 an alarm can be set if the temp gets to high or low and if you have a BBQ Guru or Stoker, it will handle the entire cook for you.

Fill the fire box to the top and make sure all the ash and small pieces have been removed before lighting, this will be all the lump you need.
  • WhackJob
    WhackJob Posts: 46
    Options
    Thanks guys. I am going to give this a shot on Saturday. Appreciate the help!
  • JFEggerton
    Options
    I did my first pulled pork (14 lbs total) a couple of weekends ago on an XL egg. I didn't inject anything, not sure I ever will. I just rubbed the whole thing in yellow mustard and filled the drip pan with a beer.

I did the first 8 hours on rack in a drip pan @ 250. Then I foiled the butts and put back in the egg for an additional 3 hours, added BBQ sauce. The cooked 1 more hour until the should blade bones were falling out and the meat was so tender you could pick at it and it would pull off with no effort.

I unwrapped the foil in the drip pan I was using to capture the abundant liquid in the foil. Mixing it into the chopped product.

1 load of lump should be all you need. I found I needed to adjust my Egg only a few times during this cook. About once every 4 hours. I'm still learning how to use the egg myself (3 month owner).

Happy Grilling
    JFEggerton
    Plano, Tx
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    1. Is 18 hours at 200ish about right?

It will be a whole lot longer if you don't get that temp up to 250.

2. Should I inject a marinade and if so what do you suggest?

Injecting is entirely your choose, but if you do I suggest a good Eastern NC BBQ Sauce. Recipes are abundant on the Web.

3. How much attention do these "all nighters" require? Do I have to be up all night (could end up pretty drunk if the answer is yes)?

Yes they do require attention. Either from you or a device like a BBQ Guru or Stoker. At the very least you should have a remote temp device like the Mavericks.

4. How many pounds of lump do you think?

7 - 8 pounds should fill the firebox on the XL long enough to do this cook.
  • Egg-on-Medford
    Options
    I'm glad you asked, cuz this is what I'm hoping to be able to do on our brand new medium egg. How big a piece can I expect to do on a medium egg? I've got the ET 73 thermometer en route. I'd love to do it this weekend as my son is coming home from camp. I've also been telling my friends about the BGE--most have never heard of it. I'd love to wow'em.

Loved the Hush Puppy origin story in the link.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I have set two 8 pound butts on my medium egg. They are a little close together in the beginning but shrink as they cook.
  • grEGGor
    grEGGor Posts: 109
    Options
    Thanks for all the info - we are planning on pulled pork this weekend.

I picked up the Digiq II last week and am looking forward to giving it a try.

Greg