Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

persimmon wood for smoking???

TNmike
TNmike Posts: 643
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever used persimmon wood for smoking? I know most fruit woods are good for smoking but I don't ever remember ever burning any persimmon so don't know what it smells like. TNmike

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    jlockhart29 uses it all the time. if i remember [if??] he says it is reminescent of hickory but a bit milder...
    he will surely answer this post if he sees it
    bill
  • Mike I do not know about smoking for cooking. Tried to burn in my fireplace smell was awful. Will never forget that smell. JD
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Persimmon is the base in all my cooks. I see where you are from and am sure you can get them wild as can I at our farm in Prescott Ar. Dryed ,cut into 4 inch slices by one inch thick , then split into 4 wedges. I use them for all my cooks. Beef I will add hickory with it as it as persimmon is a milder wood than hickory. I have oak,hickory,peach,sasafrass,apple,muskidine on my place but persimmon is my go to wood for everything.
    LastwkFEB08037.jpg
    NEW08010-3.jpg