Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Complete Overhaul Where to begin...

Options
oldfishinglure
oldfishinglure Posts: 235
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
or what to cook first I should say.

I posted some stories about my first encounter and how I met the egg last weekend....Hope you enjoyed them.

Ill fast forward to this week and return to some of my egg encounters another time.

Last night I spent 3+ hours doing a complete overhaul. Removing the 11 year old bands which I had to cut the old bolts in half to get off when I went to turn the nuts the whole band twisted and bent. Thank goodness for the dremmel.

Replaced and upgraded to a new shiny draft door (what was left of the other black one had siezed in one position). Sealed it with some 2000 degree fireplace silicone.

What was left of the original gasket, what I was able to scrap off with a razor blade. The I cleaned the surface down with a wire brush as well.

A new Fire box, old one came out in 80pieces, a new fire ring old one was in 4 pieces, a new iron grate at the bottom I had used an old mini grill grid for years....

A new thermometer (old one hadnt worked in years).

A new grill grid, and a cast iron spare and place setter to top it off.....

She looks like a brand new egg, and I feel much better after giving her the TLC shes needed for a long time. The wife made the comment to me again last week, like she did 11 years ago. Spend whatever you want I just want to eat off the egg....That meant green light for a complete overhaul....

Im going to go out now and do a test fire and see if the gasket holds....

Shes already asked me a dozen times since last night what are we cooking first...

Any thoughts?? Should I go back to what I know she loves for the first cook rather then deviate???

Ill got shoot some pictures of her all dressed up for the first time in a long time...

Matt
www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Cook the same meal as you did the first time when it was new. A nice bottle of chilled wine. Or use a Rioja for the base of a fruity Sangria. Make a custom CD or MP3 playlist of her favorite songs.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    You know you have just entered the Egg Zone. That is where an Egger goes wild on the internet looking for all the neat stuf that may, could, or does go with the BGE. It is a fun ride! When do we get to see some pics?
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    My ancient egg needs everything that you replaced on yours. It's clay though and am dubious about getting a ceramic firebox. There's discussions about the reaction between the ceramic and clay. Get's hotter etc.
    So far I bought the adjustable cap and draft door. Will have to drill out the screws on the door. Also need a ceramic rain cap. Mine's in 3 pieces.
    A couple here said to get a new egg but at my age (80) and finances I'll keep my 38 year old egg going.