Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gel firer starter

Angie
Angie Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The place we purchased our egg sold us a gel fire starter. It is $10.00 a bottle. We went to another store and they told us the gel starter should not be used with the egg. I have also read about using alcohol. Can anyone help us with what is correct. We do not have a covered porch so I do not want to use the electric starter which would be the cheapest. Will the gel starter or alcohol method harm the egg? We are having to squirt the gel starter 3 different times to get the fire started, therefore it is taking way to much to get the fire going.

Angie

Comments

• Boogie
    Boogie Posts: 137
    My understanding is any accelerants should not be used. The instructions recommend either the egg bricks or the electric starter. I use a MAPP torch on mine. About 5-6 places for over 10 seconds in each place and it gets it going nicely. Keep in mind that it will take a while for it to get up to temp and cook off any bad smoke.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    I used a gel starter for a while in the beginning and eventually found out it was a WHOLE lot cheaper to use the starter cubes. I cut each cube into quarters. They take a bit to get a fire going but, if you're not in a huge rush . . .

I currently use a MAPP torch. Fairly small, handy and quite cost effective in the long run. A few seconds in each place you want to start the fire in and you will be on your way. ONe of my MAPP bottles lasted a little over a year and only cost $9. The kit with the nozzle (you have to have it) will run somewhere around $40 I think.

Then there's the stike (read frugal) method of fire starting. A paper napkin with a little olive oil lit with a couple pieces of lump charcoal tented over the flames and VIOLA!

Hope this helps and I have a feeling you'll have a bunch of other suggestions coming along in a bit. Good luck.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    I would suggest not to use any chemicals or accelerants in your BGE. It is ceramic and may absorb the the residues and impart it to the food during a cook. Use elecric, fire chimeny, or egg bricks. You may want to look at BBQ guru site and check out the Guru golf club.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    I started out using the starter cubes, but now use the paper towel method....it works grteat B)
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    i used the alcohol for a while no problem it burns off clean no residual in the egg. i use a weedburner considerable larger than the harbor freight one and a propane or mapp torch now.. mapp is better and make sure to get the intant on and off torch . not one where you have to turn the knob on and off... mapp torch with instant on and off makes a great weed burner for small flower or garden beds no diggging of chemicals.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    The MAPP torch lit a great fire for me but I got tired of ruining my shirts with burn holes from the sparks...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I used an alcohol gel product called Green Heat for a while with no aftertaste problems. My only complaint was in bright daylight it is hard to see the flames to know it caught on fire. BTW the Weber cubes that many people use are nothing but Sterno, which is gelled alcohol so whoever gave you the scare is full of baloney IMO.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    You said...We are having to squirt the gel starter 3 different times to get the fire started...Angie, THAT is a dangerous thing to do! As I said my complaint was not being able to see flames and if you squirt more on a burning or even smoldering fire you are really risking it! Please don't do that anymore!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I use both a weed burner & cubes, depending on the cook and my moood. Propane is faster, but you have to stand there with it. Cubes are drop and go for a few minutes, come back and close dome, let it burn off and you are ready. Both have advantages.
  • Angie
    Angie Posts: 25
    Thank you so much, I worried about this also but it seemed as if the fire just would not lite. I used 1 BGE fire starter square this morning and the fire lit easily.

Thanks again.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    i cannot argue with that one.... i lit some damp lump with the 500000 btu burner..hail of sparks . neighbor lady ran to the other side of the breeze way told my son that i was insane...