Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! How do I cook these...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just bought "Country Style Boneless Pork Loin Ribs" - they are individually cut "boneless ribs" - looked very meaty so I thought I'd give them a try. Do I cook them just like I do baby backs - rub, sit overnight in fridge, then indirect 3-4 hrs at 220? Are these really "ribs" or fake ribs? I was figuring on using JJ's rub, same as I do for baby backs.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Jerry,
    Those are not ribs! What you have sounds like it is from the loin end of the shoulder, and they are pretty lean. 350-400 direct for maybe 10-15 minutes per side, until nicely browned, and 145 internal temp should be perfect.[p]If you get the "country ribs" from the shoulder end, they are usually cut from the back part of the boston butt...and you can see the fat in them heavily. Those get cooked more like ribs..lower temp longer time.[p]Jim Goodes rub (mislabelled as JJs), is great on beef. I dont like it on pork particularly.[p]Enjoy!! And a great weekend to ya.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • StumpBaby
    Options
    Jerry,[p]I cooked those once. Made the mistake of treating them like baby back ribs..ohh...doggy...were they tough..kinda like roofing shingles. I would cook-em like a lean piece of pork, high...and not very long..unless you be wantin some good roofing shingles..
  • Thanks, Nature Boy - glad I asked. Do you have a favorite rub for pork that would work with these?
  • Thanks, StumpBaby - I'm going to take your advice. I had a feeling something was up with these "ribs." Next time I'll stick with the real things. Should I just season with salt and pepper? Do you have any seasoning/rub suggestions?
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Jerry,
    Ken Stone's Gilded Splinter rub would be perfect. This one (link below) is damn good too. [p]Cheers!
    Chris

[ul][li]Mike O's rub[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • StumpBaby
    Options
    Jerry,[p]I have some rub suggestions...but I'll keep those to myself :)[p]Seriously though..it's what you like. I sometimes use montreal steak seasoning (yes...on pork) , and sometimes JJ's rub, and sometimes nothing but salt-n-peppa...

• Thanks again, Nature Boy - will give it a try.
  • StumpBaby,
    Thanks again. Sure is great to get instant answers here.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Jerry, Looking back, how thick are those babies?? You might want to go with 400-500 instead if they aren't too thick. Definitely check your internal temp though. Anything over 150, and you will start drying it out. I like to go for having a good brown exterior about the same time the middle is done.[p]Thinkin too much! Time to hop off of this 'puter I think.
    Beers to you.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,
    They're about 1 1/2 inches thick. Would you cook them dome open or closed? What does it mean to specify an egg temperature if you're cooking with dome open?

• Nature Boy,
    Followed your advice - "ribs" were well cooked, but Mike O's rub was WAY too salty for these - I had to throw them out! Oh well, sometimes you just have to learn from your mistakes. I wonder if that rub is meant for bigger pieces of meat, or could be that Morton's Kosher salt is saltier than Diamond Crystal - read about that in Cooks Illustrated. I'll be more careful about salt content in rubs. Thanks anyway!