Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Can Chicken

Options
BoneDaddy's
BoneDaddy's Posts: 257
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I am doing my first BCC on the LBGE tonight. Anyone have the details on how to do it on an BGE? I have done it on the grill a bunch, but never the egg. I need temp, time and Dizzy Pig rub suggestions.

Thanks
Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Do a search (upper right) on Beer Can chicken and you will get a wealth of information!
  • BoneDaddy's
    Options
    Tried that, nothing came up....
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    I have done 5 at a time on mine and am going to try 6 the next time. I remove the thermometer and place the clip on the outside so the lid closes. The first time it stuck into the chicken and was reading 45 degrees. Threw me off for a second then I realized I had pierced the bird. That is why I remove the thermometer and place on the outside.
    I soak the bird in a brine 4 quarts of water with 1/2 cup salt and lemon pepper seasoning. I take the bird out and leave in fridge for day to dry skin. I cook at 350 for 1.5 hours or until the breast reads 165. I know that is a little early but once the bird rest it is at 175.

Great flavor and moist birds.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,814
    Options
    tsunami spin and use ginger ale works for me. i cook them direct at about 350/377 or go 400 if inderect. i added some cornstarch once to the rub and the skin gets more crispy, make sure the wings dont touch the breast meat or the area turns to paste instead of crisp
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Funny, I put in "beer can" and got 27 pages of hits.
  • BoneDaddy's
    Options
    do you do 1.5 direct or indirect?
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Options
    I cooked one in the oven the other night when some storms blew in and didn't feel like dodging rain. Gotta invest in one of those chimney tops.
    Anyway, after rubbing the bird I place a cookie sheet lined with foil on the lowest rack of the oven. From there I just placed my bird- already in the ceramic beer can holder and cooked for 1.5 hours. Still came out real moist- just missing that good charcoal flavor.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    450, indirect, about 1 hour.

Rub with EVOO and DP Shakin the tree or Cavendar's is usually what I use.

I like to cook to 185 - 190 in the thigh

Be carefull taking it off when you're done. The bird gets floppy/falling apart and often the can sticks to the butt and then lets go when you're transferring the bird from grill to platter.

Minimize your variables, just do it and if you'd like to make adjustments next time, go ahead.

I have tried separating the skin, using cornstarch, etc and I didn't see any noticeable benefit. I have not tried mixing the rub with cornstarch first and then dusting the bird. That might be worth doing. But I would keep it as simple as possible first and then you can experiment with minor tweaks on your following cooks.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,814
    Options
    i think this one was inderect withthe garlic from the bottom of a bottle of garlic oil
    2005162649.jpg
    this one was direct
    6b89e785.jpg
    this one had the cornstarch, i think i added some prepared ginger to the gingerale, about a third filled with the gingerale. this one was crispy
    100_0181.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • There is only one way to do beer can chicken. Put the chicken in your BGE and while it cooks, drink your beer. Can't beat it and the beer doesn't go to waste!!! B)