Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First baby back ribs on the Egg :)

Options
Klag
Klag Posts: 208
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I've had my Egg forever - over 8 years but just recently found this forum and started slow cooking things. Up until now, I've only used it as a grill for steaks and chops and my medium Egg gets up to 1000 degrees easy. I melted the gasket for sure in the first month I've had it.... but I don't care :) My food is pretty good and it keeps the wife happy. My fire ring is also cracked/broken in about 37 places and would surely crumble into dust if I tried to remove it. Been that way for 5+ years because I grill at ridiculously high temps for long periods of time.

Definitely gonna get a large Egg after I move.

So, here's my baby backs. No special method, in fact it's a 3-1-1 I found on this forum. Figured I'd post some pictures incase anyone else enjoys looking at all the food as much as me (especially with a bad case of late night munchies!). 250 indirect with plate setter whole time. 3 hours, then wrap in foil with honey and apple juice, then last hour direct basting in BBQ sauce.

Best ribs the wife and I ever had, ever. And was my first attempt - surely will get even better!

Ribs with the rub

ki4enfa033.jpg

On the egg. Notice I forgot the drip pan, but remembered 5 minutes into the cook and quick added :)

ki4enfa047.jpg

3 hours later (didn't open the lid once - took serious willpower for my first ribs!)

ki4enfa051.jpg

I slathered in honey, wrapped in foil with some apple juice and back on the Egg for an hour.

ki4enfa057.jpg

For the last hour (only lasted 30 minutes, we couldn't wait a second longer) put right on the grate and basted in BBQ sauce and turned every few minutes.

ki4enfa068.jpg

Done!

ki4enfa071-1.jpg

We were so excited to eat, forgot to take a picture after we cut some up. But here's a pic of the leftovers.

ki4enfa077-1.jpg

Only regret, didn't use the meatiest ribs. Next time I'll spend the extra dime and get some super meaty ones from a butcher. Still best ribs we ever had.

:)

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Glad you found the forum and posted pictures.

Nice looking cook. The left overs even look great.

Thanks for the pictures.

GG
  • crawdad
    crawdad Posts: 115
    Options
    Those look pretty meaty to me! Not to mention delicious. Leftovers? What's that?
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Congrats on the ribs! If you like some meaty ribs, I'd like to suggest some spare ribs for the next cook. Sure, there's more prep time involved, but they are great!

Good to hear that the BGEs are lasting a long time (you mentioned eight years for your medium, right?) Can't tell you how many gassers I've purchased in my lifetime because they just didn't last.
  • sgtsteelydan
    Options
    Looks mighty tasty!
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    AWESOME lookin ribs Klag...what rub and sauce did you use?..those look delicious!..thx for the pix!
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Man, they look perfect! Love the leftover pix B)
  • MeatosBanditos
    Options
    Dude those look incredible. Nicely done for a first try! Post as many pictures as you can, it makes everyone happy to see something. B)
  • Grillmama
    Grillmama Posts: 194
    Options
    Those look awesome! What temp did you cook at?

Where did you get that rib rack?
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    those look awesome.

waaaaaaay better than my first ribs.
  • Klag
    Klag Posts: 208
    Options
    Beanie-Bean wrote:

Good to hear that the BGEs are lasting a long time (you mentioned eight years for your medium, right?) Can't tell you how many gassers I've purchased in my lifetime because they just didn't last.

And I beat the hell outta the Egg too! I'm talking 99% of the cooks I did were at 1000 degrees plus. I used to leave all vents wide open when done cooking over night to burn off all the left of the lump so I could use fresh stuff each time so that Egg stayed very hot for very long time.

It's stayed outside, in the rain and snow with no cover ever. The stand is a bit rusty, the gastet is long gone and the firebox has more cracks then surface area almost.... but this thing is still the best cooker ever! In 8 years, the only dime I spent was a new cast iron grill grate. If I took better care of it I'm sure the firebox and stand would be fine too.

As far as the other questions, the rib rack is from Bass Pro for $7.00. It's okay but only 3 sections for ribs. Just fine for my medium Egg anyway really.

The rub was "Sweet&Heat" that I picked up from BGE Headquaters when I got the plate setter. I only live 20 minutes away :) BBQ sauce was Sweet Baby Rays.
  • Sun Devil Brett
    Options
    Ribs look great. Now you get to look forward to doing a butt, prime rib, a turkey, etc. etc. etc. Now I'm getting hungry.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Beautiful ribs, Klag. Low-n-slow is a super way to use the Egg, and it saves your interior ceramics at the same time!
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Nicely done. Next it will be time to try your hand at a brisket. Read lots on this forum before you attempt.
    Great pics.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP