Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hot sauce

hounddog
hounddog Posts: 126
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a recipe for a hot sauce like texas pete? I think that can also loosely be described as louisiana style hot sauce? I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    hounddog:[p]Just to add to your request, I could use a recipe for this type of hot sauce using various green as well as red peppers. My goal is to stay in the Texas Pete range of hotness with that bumper crop of peppers in the garden.
    [/b]
  • hounddog,[p]I can't comment ont he "Texas Pete" brand of sauce, but I found the link below to have some interesting info on Tabasco brand techniques.[p]I'm a bit of a hot sauce nut, and tend to drive my wife crazy with the stuff I can eat. I even recently picked up some 850,000 scovilles concentrate! (The hottest pepper, the habanero, is around 300,000!) I wont be eating it anytime soon though, I think of it as more of a weapon...[p]Sweaty brows,
    bc

[ul][li]Tabasco-like recipes[/ul]
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    hounddog,
    This has a few recipes.
    Larry

[ul][li]Hot Sauce Recipes[/ul]
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Larry,[p]Why didn't I know about this place? It's less than a mile from my home.[p]K~G

• YB
    KennyG,
    You live a very sheltered life...We just got 2 inches of rain in a hour...what are you cooking tonight.
    Larry

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    YB,
    2" pork chops from Gibson's.

• YB
    JJ,
    Wish we could be there....
    Larry

• dublin
    dublin Posts: 140
    KennyG,[p]Hi Kenny[p]I'm in heaven with the Pecan wood.
    I could just light the lump put the pecan on and sit there till it smokes no more.
    yummmmmmmmmmmm[p]neighbors are going wild.[p]Dublin

• dublin,[p]Need more? I found a couple of logs in the basement that I forgot I had.[p]K~G

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    hounddog,[p]Here is my favorite homemade hot sauce..I have tried many and this is the one I make most often. The amount of Habs can be increased of course.[p]Belize Hot Sauce [p]1 small Onion(s), chopped
    2 clove(s) Garlic, chopped
    1 tablespoon Oil
    1 cup Carrot(s), chopped
    2 cup(s) Water
    4-8 Habanero chiles, minced(4 will give you plenty of heat)
    3 tablespoon(s) Lime juice, fresh
    3 tablespoon(s) White vinegar
    1 teaspoon Salt[p]PREPARATION:
    Saute onions in oil until soft.[p]Add carrots and water, bring to boil and cook until carrots are soft.[p]Remove from heat and add habs, lime juice, vinegar and salt.[p]Puree in processor until smooth.
    ____________________________________________________________[p]As was explained in a previous link, hard to duplicate the Louisiana hot sauces because of the long aging times. This recipe comes about as close as you can...only 3 ingredients used...just like Tabasco.[p]TABASCO SAUCE[p]1 lb. fresh red Tabasco (or serranos)
    peppers, chopped coarsely
    2 C. vinegar
    2 tsp. coarse salt[p]Combine peppers with vinegar and salt. Simmer for 5 minutes.[p]Remove from heat, and purée in a blender. Let sit refrigerated for a couple of weeks, then strain into sterilized bottles.[p]____________________________________________________________