Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Dust VS. Dizzy Dust Coarse

Options
TorontoBrad
TorontoBrad Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all...

I just realized there's two types of Dizzy Dust... the 'course' one I guess is better for long slow cooks like Butt or brisket. My question: Will the "normal" Dizzy Dust work almost as well or should I go and find the 'course' version for my upcoming Butt cook?

Thanks, Brad

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I prefer the regular grind. Both will work just fine for a low and slow.

If I use Dizzy Dust on a pork butt I personally like to add a little more turbinado sugar to it.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    TOBrad,

The fine is good on chicken, fish and pork loin and rib cuts. It works more like a seasoning than a rub. The coarse is good on low and slow. Not that both aren't good either way. You have to try the other DP rubs.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TorontoBrad
    Options
    Little Steven wrote:
    TOBrad,

The fine is good on chicken, fish and pork loin and rib cuts. It works more like a seasoning than a rub. The coarse is good on low and slow. Not that both aren't good either way. You have to try the other DP rubs.

Steve

Looking forward to it - I have Dizzy Dust, Raging River and Shaking the Tree on their way (from Mike in New Brunswick). Steven - would you say of these three I'd be best with Dizzy Dust on the pulled pork?
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    Actually, there are 3. They also make salt-free (in the fine). I like this, as then I decide how much salt to add. Have to say, though, that the regular Dizzy Pig rubs are not loaded with salt (unlike others I could name).
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    TOBrad.

I like Swamp Venom on pulled pork with some addded cayenne and turbinado sugar. Lot's of us use a mustard rub as well.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON