Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Options
GooGooGooJoob
GooGooGooJoob Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to an Egg dinner party Friday and ran out and got mine Saturday. Put it together and cooked Buffalo steaks that night. DELICIOUS!! I am hooked. I can hear my old Weber gas crying in the corner. Plan to do duck breast tonight. Any suggestions?

GooGooGooJoob

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    I have never cooked duck on the egg. Do you plan on cooking it direct or indirect? I would just be careful in that duck has alot of fat and the fat will cause flare-ups. I suspect the technique will be similar to what you may have done on the Weber.

Please post your results and pictures if possible!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    You've made a really good choice. With a little practice, you will be able to cook almost anything on the Egg.

One thing to watch for early on is high temperatures. Once the Egg gets above 400 degrees, it is likely to race to 750 + in just minutes. Often with new Eggs, the adhesive holding the gasket is not quite cured, and will go liquid at high temperatures. So try to stay under 450 for 10 - 12 cooks.

Its all in vent contol. With the bottom vent half open, and the daisy wheel shut with "petal" holes open, you should stay below extreme temperature..

Whole duck does drip a huge amount of fat, and can cause serious fires if not cooked "indirectly," with a heat shirld and drip pan. I'd expect just breast won't be much of a problem if you don't have accessories yet for an indirect.

I'd suggest getting a platesetter and grill extender soon. Those will greatly extend the Egg's versatility.

Do a google for "Naked Whiz" to find a site crammed with good info on ceramic cooking techniques.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I don't do duck (other than duck shooting)

You will really enjoy the egg. Take some time and do some lower temp cooks before trying a nuclear steak sear.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=467061&catid=1#

I do mine direct at 350-400 I like them rare so about 145. I start the fire in the back of the egg with a napkin and oil so I can move them to the front if the flares up get to much. I cook them fat side done for most of the cook.
  • Biscuit
    Biscuit Posts: 208
    Options
    I sear duck breast just like a fine filet. 650 deg direct, 4 min per side. med rare. excellant