Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egghead

Options
jughead
jughead Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone. I have a large. Received 2 days ago. Any hints for the new guy?

Thanks
Trent

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Welcome to the club Trent :woohoo:The main thing is to keep the temps under 400* for the first 8-10 cooks.This should help the gasket to cure.Other than that,fire it up and show us some pictures ;) We really love pictures ;)
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    BTW,here in a great link to help with the photos ;)

http://www.rickstropicaldelight.com/Photobucketphotos.htm

There is a wealth of info available on this forum.Don't be afraid to ask questions B)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    The following link will take you to another post which is self explanitory. You will find it very helpful.

Copy that page and email it to yourself or bookmark the page.

Congratulations and welcome.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=481405&catid=1

GG
  • oldfishinglure
    Options
    1. Have fun and enjoy it, Egging is an experience not a dinner chore
    2. Slow and Low
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    Welcome, Trent.
    I guess the hardest thing I had to do, when I first got my egg, was to learn how to control low temperatures. There's a tendency for new egg owners to "chase" temperatures up and down because of not being patient enough to wait for temps to settle down. For that reason, it's a good idea to start with simple cooks like pork tenderloin, boneless skinless chicken breasts, ofcourse steaks and hamburgers, before you try to tackle the long, low and slow cooks, like boston butts and pork ribs and briskets. I was so frustrated with it, that I once just loaded up with lump, and cooked nothing. Just used the experience to practice with getting temperatures right. (slow learner here) Then, when you want to try your first low and slow, do boston butt for pulled pork. It's the most forgiving of the three. It'll be delicious even with some temperature goofs. Then one day you'll wonder why it was so hard to learn. It's kinda getting a feel for it.

Have fun.

Hope that helps. Just pick one you want to do, and ask away in here. Everybody loves to help.
  • EggME
    EggME Posts: 116
    Options
    Welcome and enjoy it like crazy!
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Welcome to the club.

Advice = keep your first 10-12 cooks 400 or under.

Greg
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Welcome Trent and grats on your new investment!...my advice?...start saving for a small BGE.. ;) :P
  • TBQue
    TBQue Posts: 103
    Options
    I am sure this has been said already but if not here we go. You will learn so much from this site. I have had my Large BGE since April and I love this thing. I cook on it about 4-5 times per week. I have made steaks, BBQ pork, ribs, burgers, meatloaf, burritos, chicken wings, quesadillas, cobbler, shrimp, fajitas, pizza and breakfast. If you can cook it, it can be done the egg. Try out new things often!! That is what is so great about these egg things. I have been grilling a long time with charcoal and gas and I have never dreamed up so many different crowd pleasers as I have with the egg. The BGE inspires creativity and adventure! :woohoo: