Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raging River Rub and a substitute for

Options
ssfc
ssfc Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Folks I am in desperate need of a rub recipe to replace the DP Raging River rub. Apparently it is no longer availabe in Canada. It was one of my very ,very ,very favorite rubs and I am wondering if anyone could direct me to a rub recipe that might serve as a substitute until i find away to get some from Chris at Dizzy Pig in Virginia Thanks folks Desperate Bob aka ssfc

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Bob,

You should be able to get some shipped to you from the states.

I've not found much of anything I like as well.

GG
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    OK…When I first saw this post…I just blew it off. As, I have NO IDEA what “DP Raging River Rub” is!!??!!
    But then after some thought…What the heck, I’ll throw out my 2 cents worth, regarding rubs!!!
    I love spice and the combination of flavors that come off the grill with the heat, charcoal, and slow cooking….Yummy!!
    I’ve used these rubs for a number of years now, and have loved the flavors they generate.
    For each rub, mix all the ingredients well (a mortar and pestle are real handy to do any fine grinding) in a small bowl, then place in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Then, store in a cool, dark, dry place. These will be good for up to one year! But…Remember to shake, to mix, before using.
    So, here goes with a few blends from Dad’s Kitchen.

SPICE MIXES / RUBS:

MIDDLE EASTERN
    1/4 C. curry powder
    1/4 C. paprika
    1/4 C. turmeric
    2 T. ground cumin
    2 T. ground coriander (cilantro)
    2 T. ground allspice
    1 T. ground black pepper
    1 T. salt

SOUTH AMERICAN
    36 dried De Arbol chilies
    12 dried Pasilla chilies
    (Seeded and broken / chopped into very fine pieces, grind if possible)
    2 t. ground cinnamon
    1 t. ground coriander
    1/2 t. ground cumin

MARRAKECH
    3 T. paprika
    1 T. garlic powder
    1 T. ground cumin
    1 T. ground ginger
    2 t. salt
    1 1/2 t. ground cinnamon
    1 t. ground red pepper

SANTA FE
    3 T. chili powder
    1 T. ground cumin
    1 T. celery salt
    1 T. black pepper
    1 1/2 t. garlic powder
    1 1/2 t. dried leaf oregano, crumbled

SPANISH TOWN
    2 T. prepared curry powder
    1 T. sugar
    1 t. ground black pepper
    1 T. dried leaf thyme, crumbled
    1 T. onion powder
    2 t. garlic powder
    1 t. salt
    1/2 t. ground red pepper (fine ground cayenne)

ORIENTAL FIVE SPICE
    2 T. ground cloves
    2 T. ground cinnamon
    2 T. ground fennel seed
    2 T. ground anise
    2 T. ground Szechwan pepper
    (Can’t find Szechwan ((As far as I know…It’s illegal in the US right now)) black pepper, white pepper or even allspice, will work)

Lastly another rub (in conjunction with a sauce) that is really great on a meaty rib.

NORTHWOOD'S (North Bay at Whispering Wings) SMOKED RIBS on a "Big Green Egg"
    Dad's Kitchen
    From JB
    Serves 4 (at least)

For the Brine:
    1/2 C. canning salt (table salt will do)
    1/2 C. sugar
    2 racks of ribs, (or 4 to 5 loin-cut country style) about 4 lbs.

Northwood's Spice rub:
    2 t.sweet paprika
    1 t. ground cumin
    1 t. brown sugar
    1/2 t. salt
    3/4 t. oregano
    1/4 t. cayenne pepper

Northwood's BBQ Sauce:
    1 C. tomato sauce
    1/4 C. cider vinegar
    2 T. brown sugar
    1 T. olive oil
    2 t. Worcestershire
    1 t. dry mustard
    1 t. crushed garlic

TO BRINE THE RIBS: Dissolve salt and sugar in about 4 quarts cold water (enough to cover the meat) in a stockpot or large plastic container. Submerge ribs in brine.

For the Sauce: Combine all the ingredients for the sauce, bring to a boil, then set aside

Spud's Tips:

Check out your spice cupboard, you may have any number of these spices on hand...OR, go to your local "Food Co-op" and buy only the amount of bulk spice you need to make a mix! No reason to buy a 1/2 oz. or 1 oz. jar of a spice if you only need a little.

In general: These mixes can be used as a rub for meats before roasting / cooking (poultry, pork, beef, lamb) or sprinkle a small amount, to infuse flavor while cooking, into rice, vegetables or couscous.

More specifically:
    (Just a few ideas)
    Rub some Marrakech spice mixture over chicken cutlets or pork chops that have been lightly coated with oil, then brown or roast; figure on about 1 tablespoon of rub per pound of cutlets or chops, more or less to suit taste.
    The Santa Fe blend is delicious in any ground beef destined to become hamburgers, meat loaf or meatballs; a good rule of thumb is to use about 2 teaspoons of rub per pound of ground meat. It is also very good rubbed on a thick cut chop destined for the grill.
    The curry-based Spanish Town marries well with chicken, beef and pork. Rub the mixture over a boneless, rolled pork loin before grilling or roasting, or brighten the taste of chicken or beef stew by adding a teaspoon or two of the spice to onions or other vegetables being sautéed.
    Try a little South American mix the next time you make beans and rice. It will also add a new diminution to a veggie-rice dish.
    Use Five Spice in your stir fries, or other oriental entree's; a good rule of thumb is to use a teaspoon or less, it's very pungent.

De Arbol chilies are small, hot, red Mexican.
    Pasilla chilies are milder, darker peppers.
    Can't find them at the market? Try www.americanspice.com (888-502-8058)
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    contact me! just send me an email