Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How about halibut?

Options
DavidR
DavidR Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I received some halibut and salmon steaks from a friend just back from Alaska's Kenai Peninsula. (We are definately going next year!)[p]I've never cooked fish on the egg, and I want to keep it as simple as possible and not screw it up. And I especially don't want to overcook the fish.[p]I have one of those Lowe's fish baskets. Should I prepare the halibut the same way as you do salmon? They are 1-inch thick. What temp, for how long a side, and should I use an elevated grid?[p]I would deeply appreciate someone's help, and I promise to let you know how it turns out.[p]

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    DavidR,
    Sounds like you are in for a treat!! Good fresh halibut is a nice sweet mild fish, and the steaks should cook GREAT on your regular grill. I never use fish baskets with fish, so I cannot advise on that. Season as you have planned, and drizzle on some oil before throwing on the grill.[p]I like a good hot established fire...say 500...and 3-5 minutes per side. Flip carefully (jiggle a wide spatula underneath, and flip gently using your other hand to help), and only once. As soon as it browned well, and wants to flake, it is done.[p]Keep us posted, and have fun!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,
    Halbut will release from the grill when it is time to turn,
    flip it over and when the other side releases it's done, learned that from Smoky Hale and I'll be damned if it doesn't work.
    Jim

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Jim Minion,
    Interesting theory! Just thinking about it, I can't help but wonder how this technique would work with a thicker piece of fish?? I assume the "release" of the fish from the grate would be determined by the surface temp of the meat. When it heats and crusts to a certain point, it releases itself from sticking. But how does that help you figure out how done it is in the middle?? [p]Is Mr. Hales theory based on a certain thickness of fish, and a certain cooking temp??[p]Intriguing!
    Beers to you.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,
    It has always worked but I've never tried on anything much over 1 to 1 1/2" thick.
    Jim