Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temparature Control

Options
RickC
RickC Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After reading all of the posts about Mickey T’s rings I am thoroughly confused. I have a Large BGE with the stainless steel slider door on the bottom and the daisy wheel on top. I have a 6.5 pound pork butt cooking on the egg now. Should I leave the bottom slider door all the way open and adjust my temperature with the daisy wheel alone, or should I be using both the slider and the daisy wheel to get the temperature I desire. I am trying to cook this butt low and slow around 225 degrees.

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Rick C,[p]I close the slider to about 1/2" and just crack the daisy to hold around 125*. Good luck with the butt.[p]Chuck <><

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Rick C, I crack lower vent 1/8 to 1/4 inch and the daisy wheel open aproximately half way to maintain 250° This is not written in stone but an approximation.
    Painter

• char buddy
    Options
    Rick C,[p]i think that's why those temp rings cause a lot of discussion. it is possible - and I am one of those who thinks like this - that the temp rings on top make the bottom vent less critical for controlling temps.[p]But clearly with a daisy wheel the bottom vent is the critical control. if you want really low temps, for example, I'd keep the bottom vent under a half-inch and narrower still for very low temps.[p]cb
  • Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    Rick C,[p]I close the bottom vent to less than 1/2 way, maybe even only 1/4 inch open. The daisy wheel is closed. There is enough leak by with the daisy wheel to allow for that. I can hold 210 deg steady.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Rick C,[p]I can see how all of this is confusing and there are a load of ways to approach temp control but for me, when using the daisy wheel, the general rule of thumb is:
    Shoot for the general target temp with the bottom slider vent and fine tune with the daisy.[p]If shooting for 225 I would start the fire with the daisy off, the bottom vent wide open and the lid closed.
    About 50 degrees before the target, close the bottom vent to about a 2" opening and put the daisy on with it's slider closed but the daisy vents wide open. As the temp creeps up keep closing the bottom vent down to finally about 1/4" to 1/8" open. All of this happens for me in about 20-30 minutes. [p]The temp will want to continue to creep up over the next hour so I will fine tune with closing the daisy until it eventually stabalizes at 225.[p]I like keeping the bottom vent closed as much as I can for the slow cooks 'cause wind gusts have caused temps spikes on a couple of my overnighters. [p]So many ways... this is one that has worked for me.[p]Large weekend beers,
    WD[p]